• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Jeno's 1983 242 Turbo Build-ish-Maybe Thread.

So...

The bad news: Nearly the entire contents of the expansion tank disappeared during out hottest week, within a week of checking/topping up. (Wasn't low in the first place.) Topped up again and decided to keep an eye on it. Slight swirls in the coolant when I first checked.

The good news: It's been another weeks and nothing else has happened. No coolant loss, and I don't see any more milky swirls. My thought is that I have a small leak somewhere (heater core? I swear I've smelled coolant from inside the car before) and the heat caused the coolant to evaporate when we had those 100+ days. The car did blow a head gasket before and I'm not confident in how well the PO cleane things out. So the swirls could easily be residual. My oil level isn't up at all, so there isn't an expansion tank's worth of coolant in my block...that much, I'm pretty sure of. I'd really like to do a flush/rad clean and see if I find any more swirling. I've got a big, expensive trip coming up on the 20th though, so it will have to wait a bit.

I haven't checked it out yet. But wherever it went that week, it didn't do it slowly. I suppose that could still be the source, and the heat be the culprit for the speed. Temp gauge is always perfect.

Last edited:
To quote Cameron from my 745 thread:
daddy-liek.jpg

Aaaaaahahaha! :lol: That's great.

I got the hood adjustment bolt loose and made a slight improvement, but it's still a bit high on the front corners. Guess it is bent afterall. :-(

I'll post up the pictures later.

So the hood is definitely improved, but not great. I'm not sure if maybe I don't have the spring adjusted to pull the hood down far enough or if it's bent.

6e343d49.jpg

And the unevenness issue in the front:

5098919a.jpg

We had to use the latch assembly from the coffin hood because the one on the flathood was too seized up to adjust. Even the coffin hood assembly took some serious coaxing. Had to grind down the paddle on the hood release to make it clear the inside of the hood.

Bad news bears. I noticed that the other side was high now, so I went to drop it down. Damned thing is as far down as it goes.

128428592665.jpg

I need car rake before I can have hood rake. :-P
Damn konis ruined the lowered look. And I can't continue to lower it until I fix the exhaust, since that's already bottoming out on every speedbump ever. DP needs another 10 or 15 degrees in it, but that's not exactly cheap, and at that point I might as well do the turbo.

Speaking of which, I did some more poking around and saw that my coolant lines for the 13c are indeed hooked up. I've heard that some people just run it with oil, so I was wondering. I'm pretty stoked that she's pretty much 15g ready. :-D

Back