• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Vintage B20 - Late model clutch fan removal

fatcatbestcat

Professional Hack
I've tried Mr. Google, and he failed me here. Probably using the wrong keywords. My manual covers early cars with a conventional fan, so I'm stumped.

I have a late-model engine in my 144S (probably like a 72+), and I'm trying to take the water pump off. It has this neat clutched fan, and I have no clue how to remove it.

DSCF4036.JPG

I've gotten that central bolt out, and took all the allen bolts out of the front face of the fan, as well as the accompanying nuts.

DSCF4035.JPG

It looks like the pulley is held on with four bolts, but I have no idea how I'm supposed to access them. Are they press fit?

Any advice would be helpful here.

You need to remove the outer washer and then the clutch should slide off the shaft.

Use some penetrating oil if needed.

The outer washer is stepped and may or may not have tangs that engage the slots on the adapter which is a later design.

1033736.jpg
1050400.jpg

Looks like some brain genius/Jimbo-Elroy/lunkhead tightened the hell out of the bolt and didn't line up the keyed washer to engage the slot on the pedestal and deeply impressioned/mushroomed the metal out so now your clutch hub fan pedestal are likely interference fit for lack of a better description?

Good luck removing that thing even if not rusty.
Takes some wiggling / oil even with minimal rust / proper install at the best of times, but it usually comes off pretty willingly...

What model is it to be installed into if not a 1971+ 140/1800/164 that came with the yellow fan?

The large 140 yellow fan not fit 1970 & earlier cars/fan shrouds/1800, but the small 1800 clutched fan *should* if the car has an alternator/not a generator...hiperfauto would know more.

Last edited:
Back