• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Blower Motor Replacement: Holesaw Method

I tried this method after doing it the old fashioned way several times. It was not faster for me. It took me 6 1/2 hours instead of the usual 3 - 4. The restricted access had me wasting time looking for dropped bolts and clips. I also had a lot of difficulty getting the right side fan blade on the shaft.

I've hole sawed a 1&1/2 hole in the center of the heater plenum, drilled a 3/16 hole near the center of the fan, WD 40 with a tube aimed at the shaft and squirted. Has worked well.

Drill a 1&1/2" hole in the middle of the plenum. Drill a 3/16" near the center of the fan, squirt WD/40 etc into the hole aimed at the shaft. Has worked well for me.

I tried this method after doing it the old fashioned way several times. It was not faster for me. It took me 6 1/2 hours instead of the usual 3 - 4. The restricted access had me wasting time looking for dropped bolts and clips. I also had a lot of difficulty getting the right side fan blade on the shaft.

:nod:

Penny wise hour foolish just take the car apart and put it back together like a real mechanic.

:nod:

Penny wise hour foolish just take the car apart and put it back together like a real mechanic.

It was a momentary lapse in reason. I've been out of the biz and in TBOT for too long. I did fit the hole with a nice custom 16ga stainless plate screwed in place and sealed with an oil cap gasket. So it looks really cool. More performance shiny bits for the 240.

Last edited:
Somebody did the holesaw method on my 242, beats me why. Several years ago I replaced the blower motor on my mom's 245 and I think it took me 4 hours from start to finish doing it properly and that was the first time I'd ever done it. I pulled the dash, a ~20 minute procedure that gives clear access to the heater box. The part that took me the longest was getting the rusted nuts off the motor shaft, I couldn't grip anything hard enough to keep the shaft from spinning and had to soak it in PB Blaster. It's really not nearly as hard as people make it out to be. It's one of those jobs that people turn into a hard job by trying to find shortcuts.

Anything can be hard if you go into a job with the wrong mindset. Hell, doing motor mounts can be "scary/hard/tedious". My motor mounts took me an hour to do, including the oil change.

Back