• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Free pressure bleeder for brake system - DIY

bugjam1999

Hi all,

I created a brake pressure bleeder for free over the weekend, which allowed me to bleed my brakes on my own... figured someone else might want to sometime.

You will need:

an old master cylinder cap
an old inner tube for a bicycle- i used one from a mountain bike, which was large enough width ways when laid out flat

for assembly:

a drill
a pair of scissors
a bicycle pump that has a gauge

Pictures tell the story, but essentially - cut out the section of the inner tube that has the valve on it, then cut it lengthways at the back and lay it down flat. Put the seal from your master cylinder cap over the valve and draw round it with a sharpie, then cut that circle out.

Drill a hole vaguely in the centre of your old master cylinder cap the same size as the valve from the inner tube, then push the valve into it. Put the master cylinder seal in there as well to help hold the piece of inner tube flat against the backside of the cap.

Attach to master cylinder and pump up using a bicycle pump that has a gauge - I stuck to 20psi and didn't have any problems. This allowed me to bleed the brakes on my own, no random volunteers required.

Cheers

Master cylinder seal laid down and drawn around

tn8PRN.jpg

In place

FF8wsq.jpg

Last edited:
That's epic Practical Hackery. I'll add that to my collection of home made tools.

I have a similar home made pre-oiler for a 1935-1959 Plymouth that uses a tire stem in a drilled oil canister cap.

Not many of us have used inter tubes laying since the invention of tubeless tires. There are rubber washers available from your helpful hardware man and a tubeless valve stem can be had from any tire store. Cost might go up $2.

Good idea.

Or cut a bike inner tube in half, tie a knot in one end, roll the other end onto the master and hose clamp it on there. It works ok sometimes.

Cheers for the comments guys- hope its of use to someone.

For the avoidance of doubt- the inner tube is from a bicycle, not a car.

Cheers

Good on ya, been meaning to post something similar. :)

Only difference when I made a few is I use some vinyl tubing & hose clamps with a cheap ish garden sprayer, but the less beer money one has to spend, the better!

Back