• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

I converted my 1800ES D-Jet to a Speeduino - wish to share with others

Timo1938

T-Brick community.

I believe this is my first post. I have successfully converted my 1800ES from the D-Jet to Speeduino in order to cure a horrid lean running condition I fought for years. My goal was to keep the conversion as covert as possible (if you ignore the O2 sensor in the clock hole in the dash).

I am trying to document my work here: on my G-Drive

I have a ton of pictures and notes. I also decided to add a 123 Ignition to help tune spark advance.

I wish to share this in order to help anybody else who is tired of the D-Jet.

Best
Tim - Longmont CO

Tim,
You should post the pictures & notes in the "Projects & Restorations" section.
You will need a photo hosting site. Imgur is a good free one.
Looking forward to seeing the pics and your write-up.
Steve

Nice project, thanks for sharing. I especially like how well you've kept it original looking, unlike the usual aftermarket installs with a rats nest of obviously non-original wiring in the engine compartment.

Why the 123 distributor? Is ignition support on the Speeduino not so polished yet?

For the fuel pressure regulator, using one with a manifold vacuum reference makes tuning easier since there will always be the same differential pressure across the injectors. This means that a 5ms injector pulse at idle and a 5ms injector pulse at WOT will inject the same amount of fuel. Without the vacuum reference, a 5ms pulse would inject more fuel at idle, and less at WOT, due to the higher differential pressure at idle vs WOT.

If you really want to use a fixed FPR, you might be able to bake the change in injected fuel into the VE table -- higher load/MAP points would get higher VEs to compensate for the reduced injection amount as manifold pressure increases.

Once life gets back to normal, it would be great to meet you and see the project in person.

-Bob

I'm sorry, but I was slow on the reply. The Speeduino ignition is unquestionably good, the whole community is great to work with. The problem I was trying to solve was the extremely lean running D-Jet so I was originally thinking a fuel only solution with the Speeduino. Because I was unsure of the best way to trigger the Speeduino with an RPM, I tried several solutions from the original distributor with a wire wrapped around the plugwire to a Pertronix, I also tried the old D-jet trigger points (they were chatty) and then I said screw it and bought the 123. I like it. But have not really tinkered with it yet as I'm focused on the AF map until that is dialed in. Ultimately I needed a Coil-X to clean the signal to the ECU. Bob of Boulder - I would absolutely love to show you the project. I am planning an engine out in the next fw months to deal with the horrid oil seals. It sounds like a fun way to spend the winter.

Back