• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Oiling vertical redblock, B30 or chopped B230 pump?

dirtbike

cutting, welding, bashing
I've done a little searching but I'm not sure I've come up with a definative answer.

I've uprighted my redblock to give me room in my engine bay now that I'm going to use the 16v head, I've got a B20 sump but I'm not sure what to do about oiling the now uprighted engine.

There seems to be 2 schools of thought, just looking for the pro's and cons of either before I go ahead and make a decision:

1. High volume version of the B30 pump, the pick up will work with the sump I have
2. Cut and weld the B230 pump pick up to suit the B20 sump.

Does anyone know which is the prefered option, I would imagine that the B230 pump is probably better suited to the job as it was designed with hydraulic lifters in mind where as the B30 was a pushrod engine.

Any help and advice gratefully appreciated.
Laters
Nick

Someone told me it was possible to use the bottom piece of the B20 pump , the suction pipe. It should bolt up with the B230 pump just fine...

Do you have both pumps? you could compare the size of the drive gears in each, that might tell you which one is higher volume. other than that.. if the b30 pump fits, probably no reason to use it, and likewise, its not really difficult to mod the b230 pump (just need to know someone with a tig ;-) )

Unfortunately I've only got B230 pumps.

Don't want to buy other pumps just to measure, but I'd quite happily replace with a B30 if the common concensus was that it made for a better pump.

I could ask around and see if I can find a B20 pump to see if the pickup section is interchangeable.

I've got a couple of people locally that can tig so modifying isn't a problem just wondering if it's better to go B30 than modified B230.

Went through this not that long ago. I bought 3 different pumps, including the B230, early B21 and B20. The B20 pump works as is. The others don't. I was concerned about the B20 pump sitting too far off the bottom of the pan but was told by one of the Scandinavians on the board they use the B20 pump all the time and have no oil starvation issues. If I were to do it again, I'd add baffles to the pan to retain a pool of oil around the pick-up. The engine isn't running yet so I have no definitive answer on the oil starvation concern.

the 230 turbo pumps , or at least the later 230 pumps have wider gears .

the NASper that went into a grasstracker a while back was upright , and used B20 sump and pump , and he never had any issues that i know of .

The one and only reason I was hesitant was the bottom of the pick-up sat about 3/8" off the bottom of the pan. I would rather have it lower so when I'm pulling a G around a corner in an autocross the pump doesn't start sucking air. Guess it really depends on the goals of the builder as much as anything...

I've been running a B21 upright with a B20 pump and pan for around 20 years and I've had no problem.
Some told me the cam would wear because the oil flow wouldn't be right, well they were wrong!

Back