• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Best Turbo For A 93 B230FT Engine

VolvoSteel

Hi All, ive been a member for awhile but havent had a project to work on, well i now have a 1990 745T MANUAL Factory! I have since aquired a 93 B230FT Engine with Turbo, i understand the Turbo on the 93 Put and additional 18HP than the previous Mitsu, my fist gear is really short, this is the first manual Volvo i have owned, its kinda pointless to even have the turbo engage in fist gear, should i stay with the Mitsu or go Garrett? another completly diff turbo? I have am taking the 93 block and Head into the machine shop soon to have everything done i might even replace the pistons and connecting rod's but havent decided on that yet. I would like to get everyones input on this i want to pump all i can into this engine, i plan on putting a bumber sticker on the back that says You've Just Been Passed By A Volvo if that tells you anything!

Last edited:
not sure where your getting your info from. the only jump that big was from the turbo+ option that raised boost. turbo's were the same from 90+ all td04-13C, but yours might have the smaller cold sided TD05-12B but the power on those were still the same stock unless turbo+ was fitted

not sure where your getting your info from. the only jump that big was from the turbo+ option that raised boost. turbo's were the same from 90+ all td04-13C, but yours might have the smaller cold sided TD05-12B but the power on those were still the same stock unless turbo+ was fitted

I dont remember exactly where i read it, but from i remember it was the location of the wastegate? from Lower to upper on the newer Mitsu that gave it alittle more umph. The one i got with the 93 engine is slightly different from my 90. even so should i stay with the Mitsu or switch it to a Garret? i know the garret's have more boost in the upper RPM range verses the Mitsu, at 70mph i can barley tell that my Mitsu turbo has even kicked in whereas my previous 700's ive owned had a garret and you could tell.

Boost level is the same. 7-8 psi stock. You could put on a manual boost controller and run about 12ish psi, but that's the upper limit for the Mitsu 13c turbo (which it sounds like you have). Here's what I would do: Try the manual boost controller first. That may make you perfectly happy. If you still want more, get a Mitsu 15G turbo off of an 850, reclock the housings so it will bolt up to your RWD manifold, make a wastegate bracket, and run 15 psi. That's what i have. It's FUN.

Forget everything you know, all you are talking about is so wrong it is not even close.

Start over and read from scratch.

a 90 745 manual should have the T25(tiny as crap). a 93' engine should be a TD04H-13c(just as tiny as crap)

a nice bolt on turbo is a TD04HL-15g or 16t off a later fwd car. IF you have $ to spend and want one of the best stock looking turbos find a 19t(there is someone that sells them) Otherwise when you are ready to make big power step up to some kind of Holset or T3/T4. The Mitsu turbos are a newer design and more aggresive design. While smaller they are still better pound for pound in stock form

Either way go back and read from scratch.

holset is a little big. A t3/t4 will bolt in. you will need a cbv valve though. I loved my set up when i had it on my wagon at 15psi at qualcomm it would do a 9.2 in the 1/8th

Yea im thinking a T4 is my best option, ill probly swing by the pick yard and get a manifold and turbo and just rebuild it, probly be cheaper in the long run, Turbo City is local to me so i can go pick up a rebuild kit from them.

where are you located? get a t3 off a older 240 without a intercooler and it will have a .63 housing. As for the cold side i liked the .50 trim to4e. It spooled decent but the top end was crazy esp with 3'' exhaust.
Edit your car should have the better exhaust manifold already.
Edit2 better get a spare m46 trans when your there

I live in Southern California Lake Elsinore, Sadly i have yet to see a M46 at any pick yard around here, and the 4 i tend to frequent have Large EURO sections with 10+ volvo's in each. im sure one day ill come accross one, i plan on resealing and replacing the Clutch once i get the engine out of my 90 and if possible and accesable replacing the OD switch and 4th gear sensor i think it called.

holset is a little big. A t3/t4 will bolt in. you will need a cbv valve though. I loved my set up when i had it on my wagon at 15psi at qualcomm it would do a 9.2 in the 1/8th

My HY35CW Spools just as fast as the .63/.50 (t3/t4)turbo on the green car in the driveway. And that car is 9.8:1 vs my 8.2:1 along with his manual and my auto. Oh and did I mention I also have a blown HG?

I dont remember exactly where i read it, but from i remember it was the location of the wastegate? from Lower to upper on the newer Mitsu that gave it alittle more umph. The one i got with the 93 engine is slightly different from my 90. even so should i stay with the Mitsu or switch it to a Garret? i know the garret's have more boost in the upper RPM range verses the Mitsu, at 70mph i can barley tell that my Mitsu turbo has even kicked in whereas my previous 700's ive owned had a garret and you could tell.
I think what this maybe is based on, is the B230FT vs. B230FK.
Thought, I dont know if you even got the B230FK in the states.

The B230FK had a non adjustable WG on the 13C turbo, whereas the B230FT had an adjustable WG.

The base pressure on the FK was also 0.35 bar vs. 0.65 on the b230ft.

im glad to hear i should have no problems installing my 16t into my 91 740t. as i understand they are safe up to about 16 psi? im planning on setting it for 14-15. ive already asked on another thread about what i need to ensure the turbo is mint. If it has no play and/or damage should i still rebuild? Im plannin on a blow off valve too.

So the T3/T4/Holset/ Are the bolt on one's i should be looking at, A GT2871 Might Hold? are you joking or are you serious.

If you want a bolt-on turbo, you'd want a 19T for max power.

Since you're in CA, you may want to check with the smog laws before you make your purchase.

im glad to hear i should have no problems installing my 16t into my 91 740t. as i understand they are safe up to about 16 psi? im planning on setting it for 14-15. ive already asked on another thread about what i need to ensure the turbo is mint. If it has no play and/or damage should i still rebuild? Im plannin on a blow off valve too.

I wouldn't say you are safe at 15psi just right off the back, there are a ton of other little things you will want to make sure it right, the fact that you are in CA with watered down 91oct fuel does not help your case.

Near the end of my time living in CA i would only be able to run 10psi on 91oct pump fuel due to all of the crap they started to put in it and that was with all kinds of supporting mods.

Either way you will for sure want to upgrade @ least your intercooler, exhaust and a set of chips and more fuel(be it larger injectors or even just a 4bar fpr) to safely run that kind of boost otherwise you are running a risk of venting your block

I wouldn't say you are safe at 15psi just right off the back, there are a ton of other little things you will want to make sure it right, the fact that you are in CA with watered down 91oct fuel does not help your case.

Near the end of my time living in CA i would only be able to run 10psi on 91oct pump fuel due to all of the crap they started to put in it and that was with all kinds of supporting mods.

Either way you will for sure want to upgrade @ least your intercooler, exhaust and a set of chips and more fuel(be it larger injectors or even just a 4bar fpr) to safely run that kind of boost otherwise you are running a risk of venting your block
Yes, this is true.

Before maxing out the 13c, one needs:
* China Cooler
* Chips
* 3" Downpipe
* good exhaust

Then 220hp is doable on the 13C.
If one wishes to pass 220hp, one has to also swap:
* Injectors (they are already maxed out at 220hp)
* Turbo
* Maybe colder spark plugs(?).
* Cam should also be swapped (I'd swap it before swapping turbo).
* Clutch

Back