• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Help me plan an audio system

FWIW I was reading info on amp mtg. It said it's not a good idea to mount an amp to a sub box.

Reason given was it'll shake the amp's circuits apart , and greatly shorten the amp's life. Made sense to me........

FWIW I was reading info on amp mtg. It said it's not a good idea to mount an amp to a sub box.

Reason given was it'll shake the amp's circuits apart , and greatly shorten the amp's life. Made sense to me........

I didn't consider that. Might move when I replace the sub again.

I've mounted amps on sub boxes before without trouble, but I don't do it anymore for the reason listed. I mean, car amps are tough because cars vibrate anyway, but I'd rather put it in the best possible situation rather than the worst.

I've mounted amps on sub boxes before without trouble, but I don't do it anymore for the reason listed. I mean, car amps are tough because cars vibrate anyway, but I'd rather put it in the best possible situation rather than the worst.

Seems everyone mounts the amps to sub boxes. Probably because it's the *easiest* solution. And most people are lazy

But if you read the manufacturers info, it is not recommended. Neither is mounting an amp upside down.

Seems a sub box would be *the worst place* to mount an amp.

maybe install rubber bushings to absorb vibrations........profit

but really, in a car with a crazy system, EVERYTHING'S gonna rattle/vibrate, so there's no safe place for it

Seems everyone mounts the amps to sub boxes. Probably because it's the *easiest* solution. And most people are lazy

But if you read the manufacturers info, it is not recommended. Neither is mounting an amp upside down.

Seems a sub box would be *the worst place* to mount an amp.

I definitely chose to mount mine there because it was easy. Looks great and hasnt killed an amp yet though. Actually, that amp has already cooked my Alpine type R. The RE in there is temporary. Let us know what setup you decide to go with! Im still learning and am curious see how other systems sound.

I have 5.25" Kappas up front (with 1" spacers to clear the windows), 4" Kappas in the rear, a Kenwood HU in the lower position, and a Sirius Starmate mounted below the 3-gauge cluster. I'm pretty happy with everything except the lack of bass. I'm thinking about getting a Infinity Basslink 200w mono amp/sub.

I definitely chose to mount mine there because it was easy. Looks great and hasnt killed an amp yet though. Actually, that amp has already cooked my Alpine type R. The RE in there is temporary. Let us know what setup you decide to go with! Im still learning and am curious see how other systems sound.

The article I read showed how to mount amp on sub box *if one had to*.

Said use 3/4" MDF, brace the box internally, and mount amp onto a corner of the box. I suspect it has a lot to do with sub woofer size & RMS that is powering it.

amp wise I would consider the J2 JL audio amps, They are not as good as the slash series but dollar to performance and pretty darn good. If I had to buy a new amp that is what I would buy.
Also for a sub, I liked my elemental designs subs, worked well and was cool just because it was a little different.

Back