• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Running a GM automatic transmission behind your redblock

Awesome Mike! Have you had a chance to play with it on yours and just double-check it'll all clear everything?

If there's enough interest I can do a buy for the upright versions as well, if we can get 5 people paid in full.

Would be interested in an upright version of the GM adaptor, but I need to check bellhousing clearance around my bulkhead first.

Can we get an approximate cost and ETA on these if all is good my end.
Laters
Nick

ETA is still pending on the drawing getting completed. Once I have the drawing and have enough paid for, the run takes 7-10 days. If I can get 5 paid in full the cost should be right around $150 delivered to your door.

ok, next question... What transmission to use? (sorry to go off topic)

The car in question will weigh in at around 2200-2400lbs, I'm very tempted by a powerglide as I can source on locally with a deep cast sump, manual valve body and uprated internals... but for anything other than drag racing it's going to suck...

Or do I go for a more modern 4spd over drive, I'm particularily interested in 4L60E.
I know that you need a controller for the trans but I prefer that to the tv cable setup on the 700's and it looks as thought the GPIO board that megashift uses can be run stand-alone (which is great as I'm not running megasquirt)

My biggest concern is that the 1st is too short on the 4L60E, on such light car it would almost be unusable.
The current diff is a Ford 8" with 3.08 gears and the factory LSD, I intended using the powertrax locker with the 3.55 gears as I have them sat on the shelf.

What opinions do you guys have?
Laters
Nick

So one can use a stock Volvo flex plate and get a custom torque converter for use with the GM tranny? Pretty cool

Still don't really understand stall speed.

This is a pretty cool idea, and should one develop for a up and down redblock, it may persuade my next DD project.

You are better off getting the adapter plate made, most converter builders will advise against using a custom converter that fits between the GM trans and Redblock. At least the few I was working with they all recommended to just use the adapter plate vs trying to have a TC made that fits

Hmm, any indication why?

So the converter is a custom flex plate or an adapter to the flex plate?

I just want to keep the tone ring, so I don't have to fit a gear on the crank pulley.

Because they would have to make the stand off's deeper in order to work and by doing that you risk things sheering off as the body of the TC can not be made that much larger without being full custom billet piece so $$$$.

Get the adapter that is sold and run that, cheaper and safer in the long run.

Run the adapter that qwkswede is showing here.

But what does one do about a 60-2 tone ring?

Still just stoning out on this...it'd be for my next lil project, and it'd have to be the up'n'down type for a redblock.

The tone ring fits with the last batch of adapters I made. I'm still waiting to hear if anyone has run one successfully. The bolt heads are very close to the tone ring and I was concerned it might cause false signals on the VR sensor. But I haven't heard from anyone verifying that as a real problem. It has been a couple months since I sent out about 10 adapters. I don't know if anyone has one running in an LH2.4 car yet.

And the block plates for a vertical mounted engine are designed. But it would be good to have a couple more interested parties to get the price per unit down to a reasonable level. Send a message to gsellstr if you are interested. I'm waiting on one of those plates too. They are very close to production. There is a picture of the design in this thread. Take a look.

If anyone else is eavesdropping on this thread that might be interested in a torque converter adapter, please send me a note. I have a couple people interested in getting a copy of the part, but I don't have any left to sell right now. If I can get another 5 - 10 people interested I would consider making another run of parts.

Still waiting on confirmation from one of 2 parties that the drawing is ready for production on the upright mounting plates, then I'll bump the thread.

If anyone reading this wants a normal slanted mounting position adapter plate, shoot me a pm. I have plenty in stock. :)

Still waiting on confirmation from one of 2 parties that the drawing is ready for production on the upright mounting plates, then I'll bump the thread.

If anyone reading this wants a normal slanted mounting position adapter plate, shoot me a pm. I have plenty in stock. :)

Nick or me? I'm happy with the drawing I sent you.

For those doing the swap, you wanna talk to Frank @ revmax, great guy and he's got the info on file in terms of dimensions, etc so you don't have to fool with anything to avoid the starter nose (as you would on a multi-pattern converter or a wide base).

Glad to hear they helped you out there at Revmax. They are quite sympathetic to our Volvo/GM hybrid powertrain arrangement.

Back