• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Chesh's 750R Project, and no the 5 is not a Typo

Your engine isn't odd-fire. There are 144 degrees between ignition events. 720/5=144.

Ok thanks, i thought that wasnt the case about the odd fire, just reading so much stuff and getting confused with what i've read.

Going through the initial setup with the haltech manual now, it says that if the engine is even fire then after the firing order is inputed, the firing angles need not be caluclated by hand, just hit the auto generate button. So i'm hoping it knows what its talking about.

Its all going well so far, the ecu powers up, I can go online with it and have just run though and done all the main initial settings now, were just giving the battery in the car a charge before doing some cranking and seeing if were getting clean trigger signals.

Coolant sensor values you gave me worked perfectly thanks.

All other sensors are operating as they should so my wiring seems to be all good.

Now to go and find out where i hid my timing light.

Excuse #177 I was meant to spend this morning getting the car to make noises, but remembered i'd promised a friends 9yr old i would take the car and trailer and collect his birthday present which was a table tennis table from up north that his dad had purchased on ebay.

Just got back and now have to go to work for the afternoon. No doubt be ferrying back a load of sweaty joggers.

Tommorrow morning i tell ya it will make some Fruity noises, or i'll be back with Excuse #178.

Well I have Fuel on 5 Cylinders, but spark on only 4 Cylinders. All the coil packs check out fine, waiting to borrow an oscilloscope tommorrow to check the signal from the ecu.

Have a horrible feeling the Ecu is fubared (well specifically Ign Output 4) and will need to be sent for repair. :cries:

That's odd, I'd have thought it'd still start on only 4. Redblocks will often start on 3 so I'd have thought a 5 pot would fire on 4. By sheer stupidity I've found that the 6 pots will start on 4.

Is it trying to fire, or is it just totally dead?

I see you're getting close, nice to see the progress:cool:

Redblocks will often start on 3 so I'd have thought a 5 pot would fire on 4. By sheer stupidity I've found that the 6 pots will start on 4.

I accidentally started my redblock on 2 cylinders, and that was directly after i removed the balance shafts.. I was freaking out:rofl: it was shaking so bad. I guess it was driveable (power wise)

That's odd, I'd have thought it'd still start on only 4. Redblocks will often start on 3 so I'd have thought a 5 pot would fire on 4. By sheer stupidity I've found that the 6 pots will start on 4.

Is it trying to fire, or is it just totally dead?

Oh I know a redlock will fire on 3, my 940 is doing that now as no1 plug lead has just died on it.

The 750 is trying to fire, it starts to make excitable coughing noises as it cranks over. It makes 4 lovely flames shoot out the exhaust ports. However it doesnt get any faster or want to catch and accelerate up to idle. I have done further reading in coilpacks and haltech and some times the signal voltage isnt good enough to fire the pack. Why the other 4 work though doesnt explain it and looks more and more like an internal fault within ecu. So that would have to go to Australia for repair.

Only once I get the scope on the ignition outputs and check there all ok can I rule that out and look at coil packs.

Even though im getting a spark I wouldnt say its the strongest spark in world so may not be enough to fire the engine up.

If this is the case I will purchase 5 gm ls1 coil packs and use them as they are what haltech sell as an option.

Last edited:
It sounds to me as if you've got fuel and spark (ignoring the missing cyl for a mo), but they're not meeting at the right time given you've got coughing and flames. Are you sure you've got the timing right?

Hi Pete,

Couple of obvservations/suggestions:

Are you running the injectors in batch or sequential?
if they're batch you'll have all the injectors firing regardless of the amount that are connected.

Have you swapped the coils between the cyls that fire and the one that don't, just to rule out a faulty coil?
Go through the config meticulously to check there are no typo's etc...

If you're running sequential I assume that there's a cam sensor, can you confirm that you have the phase right to ensure that you're firing on the correct stroke. A degree wheel and the injectors disconnected would hopefully show you in the software when the ecu is receiving a signal from the relevant sensor (Crank/Cam)

Is there a diagnostics output to check each of the out channels i.e coils, injectors, fuel pump output.
I know on my KMS you can test each of the output channels ruling out any failed wiring or faulty ecu pins.

hope that gives you some fresh ideas...
Laters
Nick

Back