• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

SoCal Dyno Day - Saturday, May 29 - 10a to 5p!

L8 APEKS

Yayayaya, hohohooo!!!
Hey guys,

I've arranged a dyno day with Harry @ HK, and I thought it would be nice to see a variety of cars so I've opened it up to a few different auto forums. Please read this thread in full for all of the information!

WHAT: SoCal Joint-Forum Dyno Day
I will be opening up this event to several automotive forums as space allows, but Volvo guys get first crack at reservations. You are more than welcome to invite people, but they MUST follow the instructions to register or they will not be able to run their car on the dyno for sake of time!

WHERE: HK Motorsports Dyno Shop
HK Motorsports Dyno Shop is located at 15020 Oxnard Street Unit A, Van Nuys, CA, 91411. Elevation: 773 ft. above sea level. For more info, visit www.hkmotorsportsdynoshop.com.

WHEN: Saturday, May 29
Important!!! FWD and RWD cars are being run in *separate sessions*! The first group will be FWD cars, from appx 10am to 1:30pm. The second group will be RWD cars, from appx 1:30pm to 5pm.

HOW MUCH IS IT, AND WHAT DO I GET?
Harry uses the tried and true Dynojet 248X. You will get 3 pulls on the Dynojet, to include HP, TQ, and AFR's. Small adjustments in between pulls are OK (such as boost controller or fuel trim adjustments), but please limit them to 5 minutes or less. The car cannot be lowered down from the dyno or disconnected to make these adjustments. The cost is $55, but we must have 5 cars registered. Your dyno sheets can show your results in several different combinations, and can be emailed to you immediately after your runs.

DynoJet Model Number 248X

Measures up to 2000 + HP and 200MPH

Ignition Wire Inductive Tachometer Pickup Leads

Wide Band Air/Fuel Ratio System

Air Actuated Brake System

Remote Software and Brake Control From Driver's Seat

Automatic Conditions Measurement (absolute pressure, air temp, etc.)

Minimum Axle Width 29.5"

Maximum Axle Width 96"

Maximum Axle Weight 3000 lbs

Drum Speed Accuracy +/-1/100th MPH

RPM Accuracy +/-1/10th RPM
HOW DO I SIGN UP?:
To reserve your spot on the list, you must send a deposit via PayPal in the amount of $5 to: turbobrickindustries@gmail.com. Please send the deposit in "Gift" form, and make sure to include your name, year/make/model of vehicle, message board you represent, and whether your car is FWD or RWD (again, FWD cars will run from appx 10-1:30p, and RWD cars from appx 1:30-5p). The remainder ($50) must be paid IN CASH the day of the event. Please bring exact change!

THE LIST:

FWD: 10am-1:30pm
1) L8 APEKS, Volvospeed: '94 Volvo 855 Turbo
2) washedup, Volvospeed: '98 S70 T5
3) rsterns, Volvospeed: '98 V70 T5
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)

RWD: 1:30pm-5pm
1) L8 APEKS, Turbobricks: '75 Volvo 244GL
2) 760brick90, Turbobricks: '90 Volvo 765 Turbo
3) bawareca, Bimmerforums: '87 BMW 325is
4)
5)
6)
7)
8)

Any questions, please let me know!

Last edited:
Sorry L8, but I wanna do this in some cooler, denser, air like what you have there in the O.C. Why can't there be one of these closer to where you live? I vote for that dyno shop in H.B. Or maybe another stab at doing another dyno day at that shop in Costa Mesa.

Maybe the next dyno day Josh does will be the one I finally make it to. There's cooler, denser air down in S.D. county too! Cool dense air is cool!!!

I am very aware that correction factors do exist but still, there is nothing like a big, fat, uncorrected number!

I hope to have my 745 ready for some dyno time soon. It's gonna be a showcase of junkyard parts. So far now I have a junkyard 960 AMM, junkyard 5.0 CFI injectors, and a junkyard 15G. I'm gonna straight pipe the exhaust, and I've already done a ghetto cold air intake (which Tyler and Josh have already had the pleasure of seeing in person).

I'm glad the price came back to the original $55 cause that does need to be the ceiling. A person can get 3 pulls for $75 any old day just about anywhere that's local to them these days.
Regards, Eric

Last edited:
Sorry L8, but I wanna do this in some cooler, denser, air like what you have there in the O.C.

Because in real life, with all the other variables, it really doesn't make a lick of difference - and it doesn't affect your results if you're looking for relative gains after modifications. If you were talking a dyno in OC and a dyno in Denver, then yeah, I'd buy it.

Perfect example...I just went to a dyno day last week near Newport Beach - all of the numbers were reading horrendously low, hence my decision to organize this. Good example was David's 760 Turbo, which was running 8.7 @ 81mph full weight, putting down only 190whp. Or the E36 M3, with intake, exhaust, chip, and a couple other things, putting down 180-something whp.

bah...wont be around. not that i'd dyno my car right now anyways (still just working up past wastegate pressures on the new turbo.)

good price tho.

last time my buddy yim had a dyno day at his shop in santa clarita, a few tb people showed, and there were some fwd people...actually...i think the only tb people were in fwd cars. LOL

What?! TB'ers in FWD cars?! Traitors!!! :)

Jesse, hope you can make it! Jon, I still watch your old dyno vid on youtube from time to time, loved those white wheels on the 940!

Well, the laws of physics tend to suggest that in order for a car with a 3,380 lb race weight to run the ET's and traps that he ran just a couple weeks prior, it would need to make more than 190hp to the ground.

Though, don't take my word for it. Check out some of the other message boards where other owners who attended also are talking about the low numbers. There was a recent post on Bimmerforums from the owner of the silver E36 that was there. And I know the owner of the white 2JZ Supra said his car was making something like 40whp less than it should as well (I think he made 380-something at the event, but was used to making well over 400?).

I believe the owner of the shop, Mike, also told people at the event that it was "reading 10-15% low."

Well, the laws of physics tend to suggest that in order for a car with a 3,380 lb race weight to run the ET's and traps that he ran just a couple weeks prior, it would need to make more than 190hp to the ground.

Every LH2.4 car I've had on the Dyno loses power every pull. A few months back we had Aron's (Texas240) car on and it would lose roughly 10hp every pull. Started off at 220something and was down to high 180s in about 6 pulls. No changes made. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case with David's car.

That's why I ask what do you think it should have put down.

Yeah, that could have had something to do with it. I know he also has a tendency to crank the boost up WAY too high for 91 octane, so I'd be willing to bet the car wasn't getting all of it's ign advance, if any. I'm still bummed he didn't get either of my cars up there...lame of Mike to back-pedal after telling me it was OK per email. Oh well. Had I known it was HP only (w/o TQ or AFR), I wouldn't have emailed him to begin with!

Back