• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Odd knocking

Knocking245

3 ish months ago i lost power and my oil light came on in my 78 245 wagon ever since then i have had a slight knock only at a certain rpm range and only when the car is up to temp. I am confused on what it could be if it was a rod knock it would have throw a rod by now

I would still check the oil pressure. You may have low pressure from the oil leaking past the oil transfer tube seals. The other thought is something in the accessory bushings letting the alternator or power steering pump move around and make noise. Another thing that come to mind are to check and see if the noise is from the head like a dry bearing on the cam.

3 ish months ago i lost power and my oil light came on in my 78 245 wagon ever since then i have had a slight knock only at a certain rpm range and only when the car is up to temp. I am confused on what it could be if it was a rod knock it would have throw a rod by now

It could very easily be a rod knock. I've seen engines with rod knocks run for thousands of miles without totally failing. Try pulling one plug wire at a time and running the engine to see if the knock goes away. That is an old school method of checking which cylinder has the knock. It the knock disappears, you found your cylinder. It it does disappear, it is either the wrist pin or the rod bearing that is knocking.

I took an engine apart a month ago that had a surprise loose rod, never know, bearings were all toast, horrible shape but the crank was clean.

Back