• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Has anyone have success/MS2 LS1

BrodeeSmith

Hello,
im trying to reconfigure my MS2 V3.0 board to run a batch fire/wasted spark setup on my LM7.
the jimstim is not providing a tach signal,
i have everything wired to spec according to the Megasquirt website.

when the MS2 is installed in the car i get no tach signal as well so I'm lead to believe there is something off in the MS2.

is there a codified setup out there that is proven to work?

and what about the Jimstim, i ordered the 2.04 chip for the 'correct' LS1 wheel pattern, but its not producing anything.

I forget the proper name, but have you looked at the appropriate high speed tooth or composite log (see the Setting Up Guide)?

To check the MS crank/cam input circuits, I think you can set the jimstim to basic tach and it will generate a square wave on both primary and secondary trigger outputs. You should be able to see these square waves in the high speed logs if the wiring/circuits are OK. Oh, and if I remember, you need to add a jumper wire on the jimstim to connect the 2nd trigger to the desired MS pin.

I havent owned the car for years and the laptop I used for that car is long gone. Work on getting a rpm signal while cranking on the laptop first, nothing will work until that is working.

This is the pinout for the crank seansor
http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/html/MS2V30_Hardware-3.4.pdf/MS2V30_Hardware-3.4.html

This is how to jumper the board
http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/html/MS2V30_Hardware-3.4.pdf/MS2V30_Hardware-3.4.html

This is how the coils should be triggered

Trigger settings in tinerstudio
http://www.msextra.com/doc/pdf/html/MS2V357_Hardware-3.4.pdf/MS2V357_Hardware-3.4.html

I forget the proper name, but have you looked at the appropriate high speed tooth or composite log (see the Setting Up Guide)?

To check the MS crank/cam input circuits, I think you can set the jimstim to basic tach and it will generate a square wave on both primary and secondary trigger outputs. You should be able to see these square waves in the high speed logs if the wiring/circuits are OK. Oh, and if I remember, you need to add a jumper wire on the jimstim to connect the 2nd trigger to the desired MS pin.

To my understanding the LS1 setup only needs one signal from the crank and not from the cam. I wired the MS board as such, VR (Hall Sensor) input for a 5V pullup.

OK, I wasn't sure what LS1 uses for signals. If it's crank input only, it's a varying tooth pattern and should show up in either of the high speed tooth logs. If not, check that:
1) pullup resistor (or jimstim jumper) installed if needed (if not added inside the MS box)
2) MS wired correctly for VR/Hall crank circuit
3) MS pots adjusted correctly for Hall input
4) simstim jumpered for Hall crank output

OK, I wasn't sure what LS1 uses for signals. If it's crank input only, it's a varying tooth pattern and should show up in either of the high speed tooth logs. If not, check that:
1) pullup resistor (or jimstim jumper) installed if needed (if not added inside the MS box)
2) MS wired correctly for VR/Hall crank circuit
3) MS pots adjusted correctly for Hall input
4) simstim jumpered for Hall crank output

i have the a built circuit for the 5v pullup inside the computer (MS2).
so i should not use the jumper on the Jimstim with that setup?
yes i have the Tachselect to VRIn and TAChout to VROUT
i also have the square wave on the jimstim

but ill double check and try to upload photos if that helps you help me..
thank you

If you're seeing a varying tooth pattern in the high speed loggers, then the hardware & wiring are probably OK. If it's then not detecting sync (look at Sync Loss and Sync Loss Reason in a normal log), try flipping in the Input Capture Edge in the ignition settings.

If you're seeing a varying tooth pattern in the high speed loggers, then the hardware & wiring are probably OK. If it's then not detecting sync (look at Sync Loss and Sync Loss Reason in a normal log), try flipping in the Input Capture Edge in the ignition settings.

there isnt a wave form in the composite logger.
when i pin the tach signal out of the JimStim to an LED on the Jimboard i get nothing.....

im going to wire an LED to the crank sensor in the vehicle and see if its producing a signal.

Jumpering primary tach to one of the LEDs on the jimstim board should work fine. You need to have the jimstim plugged into the MS2 -- the LEDs are powered off of +5Vref from MS. If this isn't working, check the voltage on the +5v and +12v lugs on the jimstim (test the wire clamp side -- the screws sometime don't make good contact until tightened down)

Jumpering primary tach to one of the LEDs on the jimstim board should work fine. You need to have the jimstim plugged into the MS2 -- the LEDs are powered off of +5Vref from MS. If this isn't working, check the voltage on the +5v and +12v lugs on the jimstim (test the wire clamp side -- the screws sometime don't make good contact until tightened down)

Ok perfect, i really appreciate the help BOBxyz....
ill get on this in the morning.. my brain is on shutdown mode......

^^^
still looking for help with this setup...
i did an spark and injector test and that all worked.... im still not getting a TACHIN signal...... from the Jim or in the engine.

Are the DIP switches on the JimStim set for the LS1 pattern? Your log looks like the JimStim is producing a simple squarewave (all switches off). The red spikes are each lack-of-sync found (i.e. MS doesn't yet recognize the LS1 tooth pattern).

Try a "Tooth Logger" view instead of the "Composite Logger". The tooth logger histogram should show the varying tooth width LS1 pattern.

Is the 2.04 JimStim chip installed? I have the older 2.03 chip, so I can't actually try it with a LS1 setup.

And is the MS Ignition Spark Mode set to "LS1"?

Are the DIP switches on the JimStim set for the LS1 pattern? Your log looks like the JimStim is producing a simple squarewave (all switches off). The red spikes are each lack-of-sync found (i.e. MS doesn't yet recognize the LS1 tooth pattern).

Try a "Tooth Logger" view instead of the "Composite Logger". The tooth logger histogram should show the varying tooth width LS1 pattern.

Is the 2.04 JimStim chip installed? I have the older 2.03 chip, so I can't actually try it with a LS1 setup.

And is the MS Ignition Spark Mode set to "LS1"?

I have the Jim in the LS1 wheel mode (3/6 on), with the 2.03 CPU. The logger doesnt show varying tooth width but it does show a constant pattern.
the MS is in LS1 mode.... i have tried other setups with no success. maybe i missed something.
so are you saying to not use the LS1 wheel decoder?

The 2.03 chip doesn't produce the correct LS1 pattern. Supposedly, the 2.04 chip does.

If you want to try a varying width pattern on the benchtop, change your JimStim pattern and the MS Ignition Mode to "Suzuki Vitara 2.0". You might need to switch from 8cyl to 4cyl. This should sync up and generate a Tooth Logger with several different tooth durations. If this all works, go back to 8cyl LS1 mode and try cranking it on the car, or install a JimStim 2.04 chip and try LS1 mode on the benchtop.

Back