• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Exhaust options on a +t car

iHateVolvoPeople

1993 240 b230f+t
Open downpipe still, neighbors are getting mad. I have a bunch of 2.5" piping and I'm going to exit it right behind the passenger side rear wheel. All I need now is a muffler that is 2.5", straight through design, and as quiet as possible.

Does anyone have experience with dynomax bullets? Will they quiet it down at all? I'm figuring with the added piping, even a straight through little muffler, it'll be relatively quiet.

<strike>I'm going to try to make this thread correctly. As of now my +t car is using a 740/940 downpipe (this is 2.5 inches, correct?) and then is welded to the factory NA exhaust (2 mufflers, or is there a resonator in there?) with the catalytic converter gutted. Needless to say it's too quiet.
Goals: -To be able to hear my engine, preferably getting the most noise out of the turbo as possible.
-Minimal to no droning, this is very annoying.
-Not too loud, I hate obnoxious cars.
-Any possibility for HP gains through a higher flowing exhaust? Quicker spool?
Budget: Extremely low, like <$200. I can buy steel by the foot for very cheap and have it welded for free or in exchange for beer.

I realize it's difficult to get an 8v to sound good, but I'll be happy to hear the turbo. To my knowledge, I do not need to worry about exhaust gas velocity because the turbo alone provides enough. The initial idea was to just do 2.5" (continuing from the downpipe) straight out of the back, but looking at past threads this gets old quick.

Many of you spend good money on good quality exhaust, but that's just not an option right now. I was thinking 2.5" straight pipe into a muffler that flows more than my stock NA mufflers. They seem to be very restrictive so if I could find something that gives me a bit of sound (using 1 muffler only if possible) that would be nice. Also, is a resonator the piece that would prevent/minimize the droning sound?

..2.5" downpipe>resonator> muffler>exit</strike>

Last edited:
For two hundred bucks it's going to be tough to make a system. My advice is to just yank the central muffler and put a straight pipe in there.

Drone will increase the larger diameter and free-er it gets in my experience.

Ditch the front resonator like they did on the 240 turbos from the factory.
Edit: 740atl beat me to it.

Not in a sedan. My sedan has no resonator, stock cat, and cheapo red muffler in stock location. It's loud-ish, but no in-cabin resonating or annoyances at all.

Also having a foot or two of pipe after the muffler will cut back the drone, and cackling. For 200, I'd go 2.5" off the DP, well hung, an 18 or 20" glass pack just before the axle, then up to stock location with a 2.5" cherrybomb "turbo" muffler. It'll be rumbly but quiet at idle but when boost comes in or the waste gate opens it'll be moar of a roar. If you want louder you could run just the glass pack, or have the muffler located in the glass packs spot.

So some say to just remove the middle 'muffler'.. Is there a difference between the first and second muffler on a 93? If having a couple feet of pipe helps resonance I might just put the 2nd muffler in place of the first and then run it straight out the back.

Wow didn't know I could pick up a cherry bomb turbo muffler for $45 shipped. Seems cheap.

Anyways I think I'm going to put the 2nd muffler where the first one is and the run a straight pipe after that. Is it necessary to up it from 2.25 to 2.5 for gains? Or will the first muffler delete most likely yield what I'm wanting?

I have no experience with this stuff so I figured I'd ask around. I'm going for a kind of throaty non ricey sound (from my 4 cylinder:lol: )

Isn't this considered a cone filter? I guess I should rephrase, I can hear the CBV, it's actually very loud. You ever heard a powerstroke like 2004-2005 model? You hear the turbo over everything.

Can you handle exhaust if you cant handle radiator/intercooler hold downs... lol

But on a serious note, run 2.5" min, and a 2.5" muffler. I assume your running a 2.5" downtube? (940?)

I plan to go 2.5" after the cat, flowthrough muffler and thats it.

On my +T I just ran a straight pipe and it sounds good, its not very loud either.

I used a late 940 downpipe, which is 2.25" It had the rear flange cut of at the junkyard before I got it. I sleeved a 6-8' section of 2 1/4" pipe over it. I had another two foot section bent 45* in the middle and clamped it on for a tailpipe. It bends after the axle but before the gas tank and exits to the side behind the rear wheel. The pipe cots $19 and I spent a few bucks at the muffler shop having the one bend done and a few pipes expanded at the end so I could clamp it all together. I also spent a few dollars on clamps and hangers.

I don't think it would be any louder than stock if I added a muffler. I have a M cam and a 13c turbo right now and I think it will get louder if I upgrade either of those things. Its sporty right now but not obnoxious.

The whole thing is in the +T build in my sig. The whole exhaust system is three pieces including the downpipe, I have a few extra clamps on it for the hangers to attach to.

Replacing the first muffler with a glasspack ($25 at Autozone) and deleting the 2nd muffler sounds pretty good and doesn't drone much. The sound of the turbo spool comes through pretty good since a glasspack is straight through. This is pretty much the setup I have on my 740 except I burned out the insides of the glasspack to make it louder hahaa

Can you handle exhaust if you cant handle radiator/intercooler hold downs... lol

Considering this is a 1 bolt part, you have to wonder. :-P

FWIW

I had the the 740 down pipe, gutted cat and the IPD exhaust and mine was quieter than stock. :lol: But I liked it that way, it was like running in stealth mode and the PoPo never bothered me.

On my +T I just ran a straight pipe and it sounds good, its not very loud either.

I used a late 940 downpipe, which is 2.25" It had the rear flange cut of at the junkyard before I got it. I sleeved a 6-8' section of 2 1/4" pipe over it. I had another two foot section bent 45* in the middle and clamped it on for a tailpipe. It bends after the axle but before the gas tank and exits to the side behind the rear wheel. The pipe cots $19 and I spent a few bucks at the muffler shop having the one bend done and a few pipes expanded at the end so I could clamp it all together. I also spent a few dollars on clamps and hangers.

I don't think it would be any louder than stock if I added a muffler. I have a M cam and a 13c turbo right now and I think it will get louder if I upgrade either of those things. Its sporty right now but not obnoxious.

The whole thing is in the +T build in my sig. The whole exhaust system is three pieces including the downpipe, I have a few extra clamps on it for the hangers to attach to.
I've read your build thread 2 or 3 times in the past. I'm not sure which downpipe I have, all I know is that it's larger than the NA exhaust. I'm going to remove the mid muffler and straight pipe it into the 2nd muffler for now, this seems like the cheapest/easiest route to go. If I don't like it I'll do a cherry bomb turbo muffler only.

Thanks everyone for suggestions

I would suggest saving just a little more money and getting a 3" builders kit. Add whatever mufflers you want and then you won't have to upgrade your exhaust ever again. With some ingenuity I bet you could build everything from the DP back with just one kit, or at least get close.

I used a 2.5" kit on my 122 with it's last engine and I had a bunch of material left over.

http://www.mandrel-bends.com/catalo...-14-gauge-409-stainless-ultimate-bk-1013.html

Edit: Mild steel is less than your budget anyway.

http://www.mandrel-bends.com/catalog/3-00-od-4-50-radius-16-gauge-mild-steel-ultimate-bk-4339.html

Nance that's just what I've been looking for. now to figure out what resonator I want to run, I'm thinking a vibrant ultra quiet, anyone have any experience? http://www.amazon.com/Vibrant-1142-Ultra-Quiet-Resonator/dp/B001806YE2

I would suggest saving just a little more money and getting a 3" builders kit. Add whatever mufflers you want and then you won't have to upgrade your exhaust ever again. With some ingenuity I bet you could build everything from the DP back with just one kit, or at least get close.

I used a 2.5" kit on my 122 with it's last engine and I had a bunch of material left over.

http://www.mandrel-bends.com/catalo...-14-gauge-409-stainless-ultimate-bk-1013.html

Edit: Mild steel is less than your budget anyway.

http://www.mandrel-bends.com/catalog/3-00-od-4-50-radius-16-gauge-mild-steel-ultimate-bk-4339.html
Thank you for those links. But for now I'm going with the cheapest route of a mid muffler delete. I should be able to get it done for <$20. I don't mind redoing it another time.

Back