• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

940 engine swap.

roman ferrante

hello tubrobirckers,

this is my first thread/ post on this forum or any Volvo forum for that matter, i know its late in my project and i have no pictures as of the moment but i felt like i should make a thread in case i ran in to any problems down the line.

background info: i am only eighteen and i bought this Volvo 93 940 turbo wagon last year, for not much money at all, in said time is was really reliable and the only major project i had to undertake was six mounts in owning the car my turbo went, sense replaced that with a $30 turbo from my local yard, and sense no fuss. until about two weeks ago my ol'man stole my car in early morning one day to go get coffee down the road, when he noticed the car had what he referred to as "rod knock" from what i understand he meant that between the connecting rods and the crack shaft there are barrings he thinks one came lose or is gone entirely. so we had no idea what to do, and we felt the most logical progression was to swap the motor out, and when we get the old one the bench we can dissect it and really find out what made it have said problem, ( plus i want to do a 16v conversion, one day) so we thought its a good idea. part of the decision that helped influence the motor swap was that i have a fully stocked automotive repair shop as my ol'man works on old British sports cars like mgb, mga, rover and mostly the mini cooper and mini mokes. we acquired the new engine from Craigslist, and come to find out it was " rebuild" and theirs and existing turbo brick forum about the donor car (http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=279170&highlight=Bertone) we got the engine from the man who bought the car, from the one who made the post and "rebuilt it". this guy i felt like he had lost his hat, his plans were to take a Mitsubishi motor some v6 turbocharged motor turn it 90 degrees and put on a gm trany, why would some one defoul a perfectly good bertonie is beyond me, but to each there own, and i got a engine, trany, radiator, inter cooler,( not useable do the the fact i don't need them one, and earlier models seems to have not as wide radiator and inter cooler to accommodate the oil cooler that bolts on the drivers side) wiring harness, ecu, abs brain, and the kitchen sink for not much money at all.

the swap: so far so good not problems that we have encountered, we got the old engine out around the four hour mark on day one, during this time of working on the Volvo we felt it was a nice change of pace because of open under the hood far different then the old British junk and also more roomy than the Subaru and 96 ford 7.3 diesel that my ol'man owns, we felt it was clearly designed to accommodate the huge hands of the ham fisted Swedish workers that built this Swedish brute. on day two we made a lost of head way we got the engine in most everything hooked back up minus the drive shaft, downpipe, and the ac condenser motor, and a few electrical bits and bobs witch i need to find one anothers mates, and if i recall i have not hooked up any of my vacuum line yet, but all in all i should be able to finish, today the third day and be driving my turbo brick home from the shop hopefully.

in closing i just felt like making a post that would be a good read for a few minutes and to introduce my self, in case i need questions answered in the future, regarding this swap or any of my Volvo projects further down the line.

cheers, roman.

Back