• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

K&N Air Fliter

1990_745_16V

Hi all. Just wondering if anyone has any experience using a K&N air filter for a 960. Is there actually any increase in performance whatsoever or am I better off just getting a fram one again? I've been reading that K&N's cause issues with the MAF sensor, any insight on that? I just want to do something that'll keep the ricers from smoking me off the line... kinda embarassing... Thanks for your help! -Matt :)

4522530733_f0e8b8fc01.jpg

While the K&N will help with your problem, I'm pretty sure you're going to have to do more than put a nice filter on your intake to keep from getting smoked. I've never heard of any major issues caused by those filters but I haven't been in on the Volvo scene for too long.

I just want to do something that'll keep the ricers from smoking me off the line... kinda embarassing... Thanks for your help! -Matt :)

Ha, ha!
Change the transmission/gearing and gut the car to drop 1k lbs. lol:rofl:

btw, the K&N does nothing whatsoever to improve performance over a Volvo filter on the 960. Fram, idunno.

You need a lot more than just a filter.

MS it, open up the exhaust, add early cams, mod the accumulator, manual converter lockup and then lose weight.

The Tentaclewagon put 186(?) to the wheels and got just under 30mpg at 86mph with 2 full size passengers and about 800lbs of crap in the car. That was on a high mileage B6304 with MS, a cone filter and a 2.5" exhaust. With a tight motor it would make a lot more.

And it still would lose it's ass off the line.

It's not going to ruin your MAF.
I usually use a K&N, I've got one on my wagon, and I would use a cone on my 242 if it wasn't k-jet.

I am definetly going to get the K&N stock replacement though. It definetly flows alot better. Probably doesn't give you more power though.

Hi all. Just wondering if anyone has any experience using a K&N air filter for a 960. Is there actually any increase in performance whatsoever or am I better off just getting a fram one again? I've been reading that K&N's cause issues with the MAF sensor, any insight on that? I just want to do something that'll keep the ricers from smoking me off the line... kinda embarassing... Thanks for your help! -Matt :)

A turbo would help with that.

Hmm, lots of food for thought. The vehicle seems to have alot of potential. I had a 16 Valve 745 prior and the B6304 eats my friend's 16 valve for breakfast :) Now, I'm not too mechanically inclined (i know i know, kinda sad) so I was wondering if anyone knows of any good shops to get things done to my Volvo in the Marlborough, MA area? Thanks.

fisky52688 said:
(K+N Filter) + (Early Cams) + (Full exhaust) + (MS) = WIN...on a budget

Fixed it.

lol. No.

Only on Turbobricks is stand-alone management considered a requirement to make a "sporty daily driver." Seriously...an air filter and some very mild OEM cams, and you're recommending a guy who admits to having no mechanical knowledge convert to stand-alone engine management as his next basic modification?! No, no, no.

The other 6,389 automotive/aftermarket message boards have a clue, and realize you can make a car plenty fun without going to stand-alone. You know, kinda like everyone did for the decades before MS existed. :nod:

lol. No.

Only on Turbobricks is stand-alone management considered a requirement to make a "sporty daily driver." Seriously...an air filter and some very mild OEM cams, and you're recommending a guy who admits to having no mechanical knowledge convert to stand-alone engine management as his next basic modification?! No, no, no.

The other 6,389 automotive/aftermarket message boards have a clue, and realize you can make a car plenty fun without going to stand-alone. You know, kinda like everyone did for the decades before MS existed. :nod:

It was a joke you twit.

Back