• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

AW71 Interchangeability

dgseel

Does anyone know for sure what AW71's are usable in a 1994 940? My mechanic says 1990 and after just go right in. Pre-1990 needs something ground off. My question is, what about N/A cars with lockup torque converters vs. turbo cars w/o the lockup. He seemed to think there were internal differences in the two, but wasn't positive. He said swapping the converters is takes 5 min, but wasn't sure it would work.

Help me out please! I gotta get this unit back on the road!

Nevermind. I just got another 1994 turbo trans with "less then 100,000 miles" from Erie Volvo.
http://www.erievovo.com/Inventory/s...nSearch.y=9&txtFromSearch=fromSearch&iLevel=1

It is kind of expensive, but has a lifetime replacement warranty. It is being installed for $125. So not bad..... Total of $825 + tax to get back on the road.

I figure it is worth it instead of traveling to all the u-pulls and all the frustration on the garage floor.

Nevermind. I just got another 1994 turbo trans with "less then 100,000 miles" from Erie Volvo.
http://www.erievovo.com/Inventory/s...nSearch.y=9&txtFromSearch=fromSearch&iLevel=1

It is kind of expensive, but has a lifetime replacement warranty. It is being installed for $125. So not bad..... Total of $825 + tax to get back on the road.

I figure it is worth it instead of traveling to all the u-pulls and all the frustration on the garage floor.

dirt cheap, let me tell you. who is putting you in a transmission for $125? thats like $25.00 an hour, :wtf: they work much cheaper than i do.

no its not. its like $100 or so an hour. Shoot, I can have one out with converter in the junkyard in less than half an hour, and it only takes marginally longer than an hour to pull the old, put the new, and drive off.

no its not. its like $100 or so an hour. Shoot, I can have one out with converter in the junkyard in less than half an hour, and it only takes marginally longer than an hour to pull the old, put the new, and drive off.

but, yes, it is, in fact. i understand what you are saying, i can rip them out myself pretty quickly as well.

Shops go by flat rate, always have and always will. there has to be a guideline on labor charges, and flat rate time guides are that guideline. Removing and installing an AW transmission, including replacemet of the rear main seal, is 4 to 5 hours, depending upon which time guide you refer to. (chilton, motor, alldata, etc).

$125.00 to remove and install a rear wheel drive automatic transmission, is dirt ass cheap.

The shop get $45 per hour at 2 1/2 hours. They are Mennonites, and work on nothing but volvos. It would be insanely expensive at the dealer. The shop is called Carcrafters, highly recommended to anyone in our area. Very honest and they do good work. Only problem is a 3 week backup, it's a popular place.

The shop get $45 per hour at 2 1/2 hours. They are Mennonites, and work on nothing but volvos. It would be insanely expensive at the dealer. The shop is called Carcrafters, highly recommended to anyone in our area. Very honest and they do good work. Only problem is a 3 week backup, it's a popular place.

i bet it is backed up, that is a really good rate, even for an independent. sounds like a really good deal for you there.

2.5 is a little less than most time guides, as well. some shops do work by a diffrent system, based on their own estimations of time and jobs, nothing wrong with that, but most do work by standard time guides.

good luck with the replacement,

Yesterday 01:06 PM
84B23F
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgseel View Post

It is kind of expensive, but has a lifetime replacement warranty.
You're buying it from Uncle Ernie

Ha Ha. Hope not. That was Eire not Ernie.... for the part.

And that is 2.5 hrs at $50/hr. They said luck it wasn't my s70 b/c that is 8-10 hrs.

Yesterday 09:43 AM
linuxman51 ahaha lifetime replacement warranty, they would ban me in about four weeks.

Yea, my mechanic said he didn't know how long they (Eire Vo Vo) would keep honoring that. My mechanic will not install replacements for free. He is buying the trans from that other place and just installing it. So he says I will have to pay the $125 for install every time.

He did suggest having the original trans built up by a friend of his if I start having more issues, and want to keep the car. He is telling me a late 2004 s40 or c40 t5 manual would probably be a better car for me considering the miles I drive. I am only getting 21 mpg because I drive around 80 mph all the time.

Yesterday 11:20 AM
mr.volvo
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2turbotoys View Post
i bet it is backed up, that is a really good rate, even for an independent. sounds like a really good deal for you there.

2.5 is a little less than most time guides, as well. some shops do work by a different system, based on their own estimations of time and jobs, nothing wrong with that, but most do work by standard time guides.

good luck with the replacement,

These guys are great, do great work and usually charge actual time spent. They may be giving me an extra good deal. I did buy my car there 7 yrs ago, and am friends with them. I used to go drag racing with the mechanic that is doing my car, and hopefully we will get some time again soon. I also spent $275 there already this week on two Volvo tires and Corvette inspection/emissions.

Back