• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

High Hp auto options

90volvo

With my new motor I know my AW71 wont live long. So I want to start planning and buying stuff I need. Car is 90 240 and I want to keep it automatic. Who making adapters for Gm trans? What GM trans are working out the best behind redblock. Like have a trans that be good for 450hp and streetable. Have a good friend that has a trans shop, he keeps saying powerglide. I cant see a glide being very streetable. Anyways Thanks A Million for help.

With a gm trans, take your pick. I've had a 700r4 with a shift kit and converter that took constant abuse from a 400whp setup regularly without any issues. I think a few here have run the 200r4 with similar results. If you have a controller, a 4l60e will work as well. If you're trying to go for more power than that, a built turbo 350 will treat you well and are pretty easy to come by, or a stock af turbo 400, 4l80e.

Whatever you do, get a converter that will work right. When I first used the 700r with a redblock, I used a 4.3 v6 converter just because that's what I had, it was a dog until it got some boost. PTC spec'd a converter for me and it completely changed the truck.

my 200r4 has been a rock star in my 11 sec 744. Gear ratios are also damn near the same as the AW71. The biggest issue I have with it is the annoying kickdown cable. Because of that I would prob go with a newer GM trans that I could just wire up to MS to control shifts.

my 200r4 has been a rock star in my 11 sec 744. Gear ratios are also damn near the same as the AW71. The biggest issue I have with it is the annoying kickdown cable. Because of that I would prob go with a newer GM trans that I could just wire up to MS to control shifts.

So what adapters needed to run 200r4? You have a good source?

Thanks for the info guys. Man I wish I did this few years back instead of dinkin around with M47s and now AW71's. Oh well Thanks going to get adapter and TC adapter ordered. Then Ill decide on which trans. I just assume run with a trans comp.

I'd just do the 4l80e they fit with massaging those 6l90s dont have quite the taper like a 80e does so you're looking at alot of trans tunnel work.

6L50 is going to require a lot of 'stuff' to work correctly and I'd be surprised if it was worth it for the effort. 6L80 would be interesting but as stated above, that's a big transmission. A 4L80 is not a small box either. As much as I dislike them, a competently built 4L60/5 is probably a reasonable upgrade (will still require an aftermarket controller, but they're a lot more plentiful and cheaper than the clutch-clutch autos)

or work out adapting a ZF 8 speed. that would be cool AF.

6L50 is going to require a lot of 'stuff' to work correctly and I'd be surprised if it was worth it for the effort. 6L80 would be interesting but as stated above, that's a big transmission. A 4L80 is not a small box either. As much as I dislike them, a competently built 4L60/5 is probably a reasonable upgrade (will still require an aftermarket controller, but they're a lot more plentiful and cheaper than the clutch-clutch autos)

or work out adapting a ZF 8 speed. that would be cool AF.

Yea the 60e would probably be totally fine behind a redblock, and not suck as much power

Back