• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

B230f+t vs LS swap

an oldschool MS1 box, distributor, ID1000 injectors, holset, header, 3" exhaust, ebay intercooler, decent sized cam....that's the short of the build to make 350whp on 19-20 psi on ehtanol.

I think that?s another consideration for me. I live in Ca and 91 is all that?s available where I?m at. I?m not really sure how much that would limit power on a +T build.

Same here, E85 has never been an option since it's 1.5 hour round trip for a tank of fuel.

But with careful tuning a turbo car is happy on 91 octane.

Should I bring up SS grooves lol? :poo:

If the B230 is properly built, I wouldn't agree that is on borrowed time, but I get your point. It will be more stressed.

After my LS build is done, I will probably start on my other 242, which will be a redblock turbo. Why decide? Have both :-P

Been beating on a b230 for years and years, only been through one small rod engine, big valve 531 flows enough more to make same power with boost controller off as it did with it on before. 300hp can run forever and ever if you can tune, if you can?t or won?t get help then maybe a Ls is right for you. It?s totally not the point of the Volvo to me, it was always about smoking v8s with a little bulletproof 4 banger. It took skills back then too, a little more cookie cutter these days.

If going the swap route, absolutely do get a complete donor car with the drivetrain in it you want. That'll severely cut down on being nickle and dimed to death. Use all the parts you can from the donor car and sell everything you don't need from it after. You'll have a bigger expense up front, but it'll be way cheaper in the long run and less frustrating because you don't have to search for parts that you find out are missing half way through the build.

Been beating on a b230 for years and years, only been through one small rod engine, big valve 531 flows enough more to make same power with boost controller off as it did with it on before. 300hp can run forever and ever if you can tune, if you can’t or won’t get help then maybe a Ls is right for you. It’s totally not the point of the Volvo to me, it was always about smoking v8s with a little bulletproof 4 banger. It took skills back then too, a little more cookie cutter these days.

Tuning is definitely something to take seriously. I would love to smoke v8’s in a 4 banger brick but all these new v8 sports cars are so much faster than they used to be. A stock mustang makes over 400hp. I’ve watched them get down into the low 12’s with just drag radials and exhaust. Maybe it’s not totally smoking ‘em I would enjoy so much, but just being able to keep up a bit and pester them while they frantically look back in their rear view wondering what in the hell’s going on.

Anyway, is there anybody in the Sacramento area with a +T or LS that wouldn’t mind taking me for a ride after this virus BS is over?

I’ll buy lunch, but I don’t put out on the first date :-P

Last edited:
I think that?s another consideration for me. I live in Ca and 91 is all that?s available where I?m at. I?m not really sure how much that would limit power on a +T build.

mine was around 300 on 91 pump when I lived in Sac.

Tuning is definitely something to take seriously. I would love to smoke v8?s in a 4 banger brick but all these new v8 sports cars are so much faster than they used to be. A stock mustang makes over 400hp. I?ve watched them get down into the low 12?s with just drag radials and exhaust. Maybe it?s not totally smoking ?em I would enjoy so much, but just being able to keep up a bit and pester them while they frantically look back in their rear view wondering what in the hell?s going on.

Anyway, is there anybody in the Sacramento area with a +T or LS that wouldn?t mind taking me for a ride after this virus BS is over?

I?ll buy lunch, but I don?t put out on the first date :-P

If your looking to pester and confuse +t super enjoyable. Such a fun sleeper to feel like a stock redblock until boost kicks in and a mustang has to down shift twice. Nothing like having one pass on the highway just to hit boost and blow past them. Or confuse the **** out of them on berryessa. If I can take a look at your turbo Datsuns you can take a spin in my wagon.

Nice, was that with the Holset?
Asher's combo: B230F +T (HE341), tube header, MSnS, RSI stg2 turbo cam, ID1000's, Walbro255 in tank, WCT5, one piece DS. 341whp @19psi on E.

His car definitely rips for an 8v, but it's peaky and still requires equally as much effort as a conversion. And, you have to be an EFI tuner to run MS. The cost is definitely higher up front for the swap, but in the long scheme of things the car has better street manners with a V8. It's quite surprising actually.

If your looking to pester and confuse +t super enjoyable. Such a fun sleeper to feel like a stock redblock until boost kicks in and a mustang has to down shift twice. Nothing like having one pass on the highway just to hit boost and blow past them. Or confuse the **** out of them on berryessa. If I can take a look at your turbo Datsuns you can take a spin in my wagon.

Exactly! Unfortunately I sold it about 8 years ago for wayyy too cheap. It was a 72 240 with an L28et, MSnS, t3/t4, 440cc, Lone Wolf fuel rail, walbro 255, 3? exhaust and more. I could never get the tuning right and neither could the tuner :-( You can ride in my a 2500 Cummins though, she scoots pretty good lol

Asher's combo: B230F +T (HE341), tube header, MSnS, RSI stg2 turbo cam, ID1000's, Walbro255 in tank, WCT5, one piece DS. 341whp @19psi on E.

His car definitely rips for an 8v, but it's peaky and still requires equally as much effort as a conversion. And, you have to be an EFI tuner to run MS. The cost is definitely higher up front for the swap, but in the long scheme of things the car has better street manners with a V8. It's quite surprising actually.

Wow that much power with a stock block? I?ve had experience with MSnS and know how to set it up and do some minor tuning. I used the tuning wizard to do most of it for me though. I kind of like the weird peaky power of a small engine with a turbo though, it feels rippy like a 2 smoke lol

It was an he351cw actually (bigger comp wheel than the 341), 2 piece driveshaft, RSI stage 3 cam. It wasnt really all that peaky for the torque curve.

It came up on boost around 3500 rpm and the torque curve was pretty flat to redline...not peaky at all really:
247389_881021074907_6358138_n.jpg

My 91 244 makes roughly 450whp. I got a freshly overhauled 4.8 with a harness and a microsquirt for $600 because nobody wants them, traded my microsquirt for a stock truck pcm and a hanress that had already been cut down, bought a built to the hilt 4l60e with a yank 3000rpm stall converter for a grand, spent a few hundred on a nice pump and some fuel line. My turbos were free because they had been blown up and I rebuilt them for roughly $40. Decapped truck injectors. Cut stock truck manifolds up for turbo headers. All in all I'm into this for maybe 2.5k.

My b230ft swapped s10 though, I've got way more in it, struggling to hit the same power mark and its always a question of whether its going to live through it.

Nice numbers. That's exactly what I expected to see. That said, compared to an LS1 that is definitely peaky. My LS1 pulls hard from 1800 RPM all the way to 5,500. It has a torque curve like a diesel. About as flat as it gets for an internal combustion engine. Much more suited to a daily driver/part time racer type vehicle. It does all that while running on any pump gas you put in it and gets 25 MPG on the highway with an automatic transmission. It isn't just about the peak numbers. Like JohnMc said, area under the curve matters. Then, there is the fact I can walk into any auto parts store anywhere in the US and get parts for it. IOW, I can drive the car across the country with no fear of being stranded in some town in the middle of nowhere waiting for my part to show up at the bus stop sent to me by one of you guys that took pity on me. I can barely get parts for a Volvo engine right here in Volvo Mecca. Even IPD doesn't stock most of the parts they used to.

I'm certainly not trying to push the revs on mine. I forget what the stock Goldbox tune has the rev limiter set at, but I'm not planning on raising it. I hit it occasionally. I'd rev the 16V pretty well, had the redline set at 7500 rpm.

The V8 just doesn't need to try that hard to make it scary fast.

Here 1uz-fe(V8 4000cc 32V) or 1JZ-GTE is most common in old Volvo or old Benz.
they ran superb in the straight road, but in conner.......
Too heavy engine and too much power makes they need strong suspension set up, so uncomfortable to daily use, but they have to.

That's where you're wrong, the 1UZ weighs just about the same, if not less, than a b230f+t. The 1UZ fully aluminum just like the LS. The power gains aren't as amazing as the LS, or at least there's just not as much support the last time I've been looking at 1UZ swaps. But you can't just blatantly say a 1UZ swap makes a car **** in cornering.

Back