• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

The official DSM CAS information and install guide

I just added the ms3x board to my ms3. Now the crank signal goes to the main board through the VR circuit and the cam goes to the ms3x board. In addition I'm using ms3x spark outputs to trigger 2 externally mounted coil drivers. Running wasted spark with Josh's hi-res disc.
The problem is now the car is not starting. Coil A fires just fine when it's supposed to. It seems though that coil B is only firing once per engine cylcle. Slow-mo video via iPhone brought me to this conclusion.

Could this be just a vr-pot adjustment issue?

Thanks
Ian

do i need to back the VR screw out or in when i switch from the stock volvo sensor to the DSM CAS?

trying to get this new motor to fire, but cant seem to get a signal in tunerstudio...

I got a strong signal when I was spinning the intermediate shaft with a drill. But now I get nothing in tunerstudio.

I feel like I am missing a setting somewhere....

attached are the datalog and the settings

Attachments

• trigger settings.JPG
    trigger settings.JPG
    127.1 KB · Views: 452
  • cranking datalog.JPG
    cranking datalog.JPG
    104.6 KB · Views: 443
You don't use the VR input at all. Not the right circuit at all for wave forms that don't cross zero. All settings and instructions in here require the proper input circuits: Optoisolated hall circuits.

I did what the instructions said, thought about it and the vr pot is no longer connected.

In the settings I posted there do you see anything wrong?

And would a picture of the ms board help people out?

I just added the ms3x board to my ms3. Now the crank signal goes to the main board through the VR circuit and the cam goes to the ms3x board. In addition I'm using ms3x spark outputs to trigger 2 externally mounted coil drivers. Running wasted spark with Josh's hi-res disc.
The problem is now the car is not starting. Coil A fires just fine when it's supposed to. It seems though that coil B is only firing once per engine cylcle. Slow-mo video via iPhone brought me to this conclusion.

Could this be just a vr-pot adjustment issue?

Thanks
Ian

don't use the VR circuits for this, they're not designed for this application.

Can't anybody post a pictures of the opto circuit? I have all of the parts to build the circuit but the diagram is confusing.

here is the back of the board

sorry for my crap photo editing. i am doing this on a tiny laptop (used for tuning) and my phone.

Attachments

• back of board.jpg
    back of board.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 411
For whatever reason...I can't find the guide I used to put together what I did here.

I am thinking at this point I should just start over. Ugh

pulled off the extra input circuit I had added, and did according to the link that Nick posted.

i have JS10 (IGN) going to SPR4 because that is what i wired the CAS cam sensor to.

does that at least look correct?

and as per that link, i changed the tsel and tachselect to the VRout and VRin, respectively.

Attachments

• IMG_20140811_192712.jpg
    IMG_20140811_192712.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 387
  • IMG_20140811_192723.jpg
    IMG_20140811_192723.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 384
Maybe Im missing it, do you have the opto isolator installed for the cam input?

Installed a high res wheel on the Dsm cas'd 22re. I had just flipped the stock wheel and had some horrible timing/stumble issues. Installed the wheel, set it up per nicks settings and it fired right up within about 5* of being good

Stumble is gone and it idles and cruises so much better

Ok so I just got mine running on microsquirt. If you follow the cas wiring on the manual it tells you to wire the outer sensor into v2- and the inner to v1- Well. That's backwards. Outer goes to v1- And inner to v2- After I swapped mine the car fired right up. I have the yoshifab trigger wheel.

@dieselboy, are you using a high-res disk or a stock disk? I wired it up as explained in the manual, and the other way. The manual way is correct for a yoshifab high-res trigger disk. Post #27 here is the discussion I had recently with my install.

The manual way is correct for a yoshifab high-res trigger disk.

You are wrong.

The Micro squirt manual is not correct. On ALL DSM CAS, stock disk or YoshiFab hires disk, the crank trigger is always on the outside and cam trigger is always on the inside. That said, input 1 on MS is always crank trigger and second input is always cam trigger.

Your link shows the cam sensor on VR1 and crank sensor on VR2. That is wrong. Crank trigger is always on VR1 and cam trigger is always on VR2.

I'll update the manual tomorrow night to reflect the recent changes in uS V3 and MS3pro as the settings are entirely different.

Last edited:
Back