• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Is it possible to loosen up driveshaft u-joints?

:uh:

If they are making any vibration or noise or have slop they're done.

Just put some fresh ones in.

If they are worn they will eventually spit roller bearings, and damage the yokes, sending you to the Junkyard for another prop.

Are you honestly suggesting that a plastic bag, duct tape, zip ties and some grease are more expensive than driveshaft from the junkyard? Because they're not. I go to the JY all the time. Driveshafts aren't $2.

Swear to God first thread I write on here in years asking for creativity and this place turns into Bimmerforums immediately.

Hey don't get me wrong I do applaud :clap: your ingenuity but this man proved my point _-V~V~V-_ I mean why not if you know how to...
Oh fer fawkssake Eyesack, there's a time and a place to be cheap ass, so here's new u+joints for under $4
1989 VOLVO 244 2.3L L4 : Drivetrain : Universal Joint Price
BECK/ARNLEY Part # 1020031
Joint REPLACEMENT TYPE - w/o LUBE FITTING [Wholesaler Closeout -- 30 Day Warranty]

Part Image
$3.36
BECK/ARNLEY Part # 1020106

Joint O.E. TYPE - w/LUBE FITTING [Wholesaler Closeout -- 30 Day Warranty] (Only 3 Remaining)

Under $6

Part Image
$5.82
FEDERATED Part # 344

at Center Bearing; Premium (Only 16 Remaining)

$8.87
ACDELCO Part # 45U0168 {#89029350}
JOINT KIT,Propeller Shaft FRT UNIVERSAL PREMIUM; DIAGRAM B, POSITION 1
JOINT KIT,Propeller Shaft RR UNIVERSAL PREMIUM; DIAGRAM B, POSITION 3
JOINT KIT,Propeller Shaft UNIVERSAL PREMIUM; DIAGRAM B, POSITION 2

Part Image
$15.22
MOOG/PRECISION Part # 344 Premium One of our most popular parts
At Transmission
At Rear Axle
At Center Bearing

Part Image
* Stocked in outlying warehouse--shipping delayed up to 1 business day
$15.77

ROCKAUTO, where else?

It is the stingy man who pays the most.

Every one of the things you wrote is a form of trolling. Cut that out. This is a hypothetical thread about a spare car I bought for the hell of it you ****ing psychopath.

I'm still waiting on an apology from you Isaac,....for you having insulted me by referring to me as.....
"you ****ing psychopath."

I' was not trolling but rather offering you *SANE* advice..........

I would agree with everyone else. The joint needs replaced. The big difference with the the steering joint and the driveshaft is the speed. Sure the grease got in and lossened up the sticky joint. If its worn a little you'll never feel the off centerness that causes the joint to become out of round. Even if the grease penetrated like your suggesting, the driving force will move the grease of the way still moving the joint out of round and cuasing the vibration you feel.

Only fix here is replacing it.

Psychopath: I am sorry for calling you a psychopath. People shouldn't know who you are until you give them permission, as per social mores. That's to say you were only trying to keep the roads safe which is admirable albeit zealous by my standards.

Lord Athlon, you win this thread by just orders of magnitude. Good lord is that some solid thinking outside the box. Coach conductor and TB's world traveling political debate captain earn solid honorable mentions.

I'm still waiting on an apology from you Isaac,....for you having insulted me by referring to me as.....

I' was not trolling but rather offering you *SANE* advice..........

You know depending on who's calling you that, it could be a compliment...

jus sayin'

And here's the thing about sane advice. In a world where most people are insane---a sane answer is irrational..

Jus 'memeber with Doctor Hunter S Thompson said, kinda paraphrasing that old reptile Vince Lombardi:
"When the going get weird,
The weird turn pro"

Sumpin to sink about.

This one made a noise:
U-joint-small.jpg

Pretty sure grease wouldn't have helped.

Neat trick on the steering u-joint though.

You know depending on who's calling you that, it could be a compliment...

jus sayin'

And here's the thing about sane advice. In a world where most people are insane---a sane answer is irrational..

Jus 'memeber with Doctor Hunter S Thompson said, kinda paraphrasing that old reptile Vince Lombardi:
"When the going get weird,
The weird turn pro"

Sumpin to sink about.

I don't even know why he chose to spout off like that John........ya have to admit it was totally uncalled for.

Both calling me a troll and calling me a "psychopath".......

If anyone comes across as mentally unbalanced in this thread it appears it's the OP...........

Last edited:
Psychopath: I am sorry for calling you a psychopath. People shouldn't know who you are until you give them permission, as per social mores. That's to say you were only trying to keep the roads safe which is admirable albeit zealous by my standards.

Lord Athlon, you win this thread by just orders of magnitude. Good lord is that some solid thinking outside the box. Coach conductor and TB's world traveling political debate captain earn solid honorable mentions.

Sorry Isaac, not good enough........

First off, my screen name is smokeyfan1000. Not psychopath.................

Secondly ....when you ask for advice on fixing a Volvo, on a Volvo forum, you should expect those who know, to give you a/the *straight answer*. And if you do not want the proper answer, then *DON'T ASK* the question.

Thirdly if you're not going to fix a car correctly, so it'll be safe to drive,, especially when it can be done for less cost than jerry rigging it...............
then you should find another vocation/hobby. Before you kill someone or yourself when it fails.

And last but not least offering up a thinly veiled smartass reply as an apology for name calling is not a good idea, & is not a good way to treat your fellow TB members.

....when you ask for advice on fixing a Volvo, on a Volvo fotum, you should expect those who know, to give you a/the *straight answer*. And if you do not want the proper answer, then *DON'T ASK* the question.

You had me till here although I agree with everything else, this site from what I've seen is alot about "Jerry Rigging" or atleast a cheap method to hp (minus t85 whatever dudes tape thread :rofl:)

Still don't think this is something you should shortcut tho...

Dude, a u-joint is like $10. I just paid 20 for a whole prop shaft at the pick and pull, but i had to give them 2 old fwd cv axles to keep from getting charged for a core.

Or you could try the grease-in-a-bag method first. Make sure you put the grease in the center of the joint so it slings out into the parts in needs to be in. Don't get it too centered though, the closer you are to the axis of a spinning object, the slower you move. So if you put it in the dead center it won't move at all and won't get into the joint.

Isaac, If you get this worked out, can you fix mine, it clanks a little, and has been dropping these little round bar things on my knuckle.
DVC01527_zpsa44ed3cf.jpg

My steering shaft gave me some trouble too, they have a slip joint and 2 u joints. sometimes the u joints stick, and people say the slip one gets loose. no sign of that in mine...Here I have soaked in in penetrating oil, heated it till it was glowing, and dragged my 6000lb truck with it, and it still didn't move.

20130926_184508_zps60a13f52.jpg

Eventually I freed it to where it moves with a hammer, packed it with ATF, Kroil, and stuff, then reinstalled it to see if it frees up. Sadly, the ujoint part didn't take well to the savagery, and is a little loose now. Plan is cut both my 2WD shafts apart, and weld them together 2" longer to be a 4x4 shaft. As far as i can tell the ujoints are not available anywhere, because who would sell them for $0.50 when a whole shaft sells for $200.

Last edited:
This is amazing lol. TB gets more and more entertaining as the days go on. :lol:

When those joints let go and youre stranded and are then forced to buy another driveshaft and more than likely whatever exhaust pices were mangled in the process, I really hope you don't come on here complaining.

Oh for ****'s sake the first post? Really?

Gary I've been on TB for damn near 13 years and +T'd a 245 into the 14s for $200 worth of parts. Of course I'm serious. And I'm talking about hosed joints, not routine maintenance here.

Qualifications:
  1. Been on an internet forum for 13 years.
  2. "+T'd" a 245 for $200

Damn good candidate here, I'd trust anything he says. He's been learning how to kill Volvos online for over 13 years.

:lol: :lol:

But seriously, replace the u-joints. And there is something about the OEM u-joints - why do they last so much longer than anything aftermarket? Finer needle bearings?

Last edited:
Back