• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Downpipe Flanging??

gottarollwithit

Cooks with motor oil
So i supposedly have a 15g/19t turbo coming in soon. It's going to have a flat flange. (Not the same as your typical 15g with conical)

I want to try to convert a 2.5" 740ti stock downpipe to a flat flange for use with this turbo. The downpipe would be being converted from conical to flat flange.

Where do i get a flat flange from? Can i pluck one off a car in the JY? If so, what car am i looking for?

I can just cut the conical flange off and weld the flat flange on to the downpipe, right?

Here's my thoughts.

If you're gonna use a stock turbo DP, you may as well just use a conical outlet so it all bolts up.

You get a lot more benefit from a larger DP than you do from a different style turbine housing; this is because no matter what style of turbine housing, the turbine wheel has the same size outlet. Converting to a different style turbine housing is just the icing on the cake; the cake itself is the DP.

So...if you're gonna use a stock DP, you may as well make the install simple and use a stock turbine housing so it all bolts up. You can always put the other turbine housing on when you're ready to step up to a 3" DP.

I see, then i guess i shall contact Mike and just get an entire exhaust system.

Screw the stock downpipe idea.... not only is it low performance, it's a bit late in the day already too.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

I see, then i guess i shall contact Mike and just get an entire exhaust system.

Screw the stock downpipe idea.... not only is it low performance, it's a bit late in the day already too.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

stock dp on a 740 or 940 isnt exactly low performance, its 2.5" and doesnt really have any super tight bends. going .5 bigger isnt gona be huge, somthing bigger than a 15g+ a 3" dp will be a bigger upgrade.

Stock downpipe is about 60mm or ~2.35" as I recall.

Exactly. Steel tubing is OD sized, and the 92 944Turbo factory pipe off my car measures at 2.25" ID, which matches the 60mm OD. I'm hoping to convert to 3" tubing tip to tail. It does look fairly smooth in bends however, no sharp turns.

Back