• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Anyone else keep breaking swaybar endlinks?

dgseel

I just found that I broke another endlink. I was wondering if anyone else is having this issue, and if it might be some underlying problem that keeps causing this. Maybe it is just my driving. They seem to break when drifting. I'm ordering these bad boys right now http://www.kaplhenke.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=42&Itemid=34 . The one I just broke is probably 6 months old or less from fcp. It is always on the passenger side. Also, last time I took off the poly bushings to try to make them last. The rubber in the other one is shot already too, and that one isn't too old either.

Anyway, I am ordering the nice ones regardless, I just need to know if there is another issue I should be looking at. Thanks.

Dave

I had some bent links on my 745 when I bought it - two years later, I had one bent & one utterly destroyed link on my hands. The wagon has a stock front bar, and no rear bar - maybe I'm asking too much of the front end?

Be careful not to overtighten them. But overall you probably need stronger ones since the stock ones weren't designed for the stress they'll get when drifting.

They probably were Scantech. They were really cheap. I have used a bunch of their timing belt tensioners and whatnot with good results, but these things are no good. The "lollypop" part broke in half on this last one.

I already ordered the Kaplhenke ones, so hopefully those will be good for awhile. By the way, I don't really drift in this car, as in racing. Sometimes I just do a little spirited driving that involves some sliding around on the street. Don't want to mislead anyone. However, that seems to break the endlinks.

i haven't seen any broken on a 240, but i have had at least 3 customer with 7 and 9 series that had broken endlinks. maybe its a geometry issue with the 7-900 or big sways with stock springs/shocks just putting too much of a load on them.

They probably were Scantech. They were really cheap. I have used a bunch of their timing belt tensioners and whatnot with good results, but these things are no good. The "lollypop" part broke in half on this last one.

I already ordered the Kaplhenke ones, so hopefully those will be good for awhile. By the way, I don't really drift in this car, as in racing. Sometimes I just do a little spirited driving that involves some sliding around on the street. Don't want to mislead anyone. However, that seems to break the endlinks.

I had the same thing, but got my endlinks through dvp, win doesn't use scantech, got stock ones on there now off a 740gl and it's fine. But I want the bne endlinks too.
And my springs and shocks aren't that stiff.
Posted via Mobile Device

i haven't seen any broken on a 240, but i have had at least 3 customer with 7 and 9 series that had broken endlinks. maybe its a geometry issue with the 7-900 or big sways with stock springs/shocks just putting too much of a load on them.
Yup, never seen or broken one on any of my 2 series cars

Yup, never seen or broken one on any of my 2 series cars

:lol: i have. broke off where the ball meets the stick. i believe it was fractured in a incident involving a kerb, i ruined tyre, and a bent virgo. randomly a couple weeks later it broke completely when the front wheel fell into a pot hole at walking pace.

Wow. I never saw spam here before... I think Lipstick32 needs to be banned!

I'm still awaiting my endlinks from Kaplhenke. I figure they probably make them to order. The car doesn't handle too well with no endlink.

I'd make sure all of the rest of your bushings are in good shape as well. Anything with too much slop will obviously put an undue strain on the rest of the suspension. If you somehow manage to break the Kaplhenke bits, I think you've got definite problems elsewhere in your suspension.

Thanks. I did check it all out on a lift last week. Seems to be ok. My front shocks are not as good as they used to be, but still passing inspection. I am going to get some lowering springs and new struts on there soon to try to tighten it up.

you should look to see if that swaybar is centered in those wrap around bushings, I've come accross a couple bent sway bars that would bust links all the time, and the swaybar would walk its way toward the passanger side.

Back