• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

ebay intercooler while keeping condenser

i know 500dollarti's fmic fits perfectly, where mine requires some dremel time, which i still havent done in over a year.

<-------- lazy = fail

s6300450506.jpg

s6300451868.jpg

Did you use anything to support the IC from the bottom? Or is it just bolted at the top?

you really only need to support it from 2 places... but if you can do it from all 4 go for it.

Did you use anything to support the IC from the bottom? Or is it just bolted at the top?

just on top actually, i contemplated supporting it from the bottom but when i get under there and try to wiggle it by hand it's as stiff as a rock so i didn't bother with support from the bottom... been running it that way for 8 months at least with absolutely no troubles.

on my stupid car the condenser is huge and out in front of the radiator and IC :( other than just leaving it there or discharging the system, relocating it with new hardlines and crap or just removing it entirely i dunno what other option i have, its annoying

My Ebay IC conversion took me quite a while and involved a lot of screwing around, I removed some metal from the front of the car, fabricated a bunch of brackets, moved the condensor forward a bit etc. as you will see if you look at the pics in the link below.

I'm sure there are much easier ways to do it, but I decided to go all-out and I like the way it turned out. In future I plan to add some deflectors/insulation to eliminate all other paths for air to travel through the front of the car, so that as much of the air in front of the condensor/IC/radiator goes through them, rather than around, but as it is now the IC is doing a great job at cooling down the intake air.

You might get some ideas from some of the pics.

http://zyrex.org/gallery/Cars/acw/IC+and+airbox/

This was the weekend project on my blue '97 940, using a 600x300 (I think, next size down from the super huge one) 3" core ebay special.

I fabbed up a new radiator crossmember and bracketry (welding rocks! :rofl:) and it all fits just dandy. No cutting, no bending, no arsing about.

Unfortunately my camera is a ****ing gimp and apparently none of the photos I took exist, so I'll try and take some new ones later...

My set up is almost exactly the same as BB-Qs. Only I've got a 4" thick IC rather than 3 (same dimensions otherwise).

there are 2 tabs on the bottom of the condenser with about 1" long pins coming off of them. If you make a new cross member like shown here:
myshoes.jpg

then what you can do is set the condenser on the crossmember pressing it as far "outward" as you can with basically the pins on the tabs keeping the thing on the cross member. then you set the intercooler on top of the tabs and you end up with something that looks much like this:

allstackedup.jpg

of course, your results may vary;-)

what do you mean? the black brackets are the stock ones and hold the radiator in place, the aluminum brackets hold the intercooler, surprisingly they hold it extremely tight.

I'm talking about the intercooler brackets, where they sit on top of the radiator. is it just like a bolt there going down and just resting there?

I would've just screwed it to the vertical lip on top of the rad... but if yours works it works. Thanks for helping out, I'm going to tackle my install in a few weeks.

I'll try and take some new ones later...

With me, "later" often means like a month and a half later, but I get there in the end :roll:

Dsc02462.jpg

Dsc02463.jpg

Dsc02464.jpg

The sheet metal behind the headlights needed a *slight* massage for the hoses to fit nicely, and the bonnet switch that I assume is part of the alarm will need to be relocated, otherwise it's a great fit. The radiator simply tilts forward a bit, and the electric fan goes on just fine with plenty of room to spare.

I'm not gonna use the radiator brackets I made, instead the original crossmember will fit over the top of everything and I'll lengthen the original brackets ~1cm instead.

on my stupid car the condenser is huge and out in front of the radiator and IC :( other than just leaving it there or discharging the system, relocating it with new hardlines and crap or just removing it entirely i dunno what other option i have, its annoying

Its like that on all the cars. Fit an intercooler between the rad and condenser...people do it all the time.

And it's a nice way to be shure the ic is always getting hot air, when the AC is running.

The ac gasses R134 i about 45 deg C above ambient, when the AC is running.
This is not the air i want to cool my IC with.
But it's all about preferences.
Cool air in the engine, or to your own head.

06-15-2008 03:20 PM
Morten VJ And it's a nice way to be shure the ic is always getting hot air, when the AC is running.

The ac gasses R134 i about 45 deg C above ambient, when the AC is running.
This is not the air i want to cool my IC with.
But it's all about preferences.
Cool air in the engine, or to your own head.
06-15-2008 01:22 PM

It did come that way from the factory, and increasing the size of the intercooler is a huge improvement. I wish I could have put mine in front of the ac condenser, but that is a major undertaking. I think it is TB'r "The Poi" that cut his bumper up to do that.

OT, I took my ac condenser out of the bottom mounts and flexed it forward at the bottom. It pushes against the old mounting bracket for a sweet interference fit. I could make brackets, but I don't really see the point. Nothing moves.

Dave

Back