• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Transmission Options?

What would you run?

• Total voters

maxman142001

I like turtles
So in the near future the wagon is getting a transmission, be it Manual or Auto. Looking for something to hold 300+hp to the wheels safely. I can source parts for all of them, some not as easy as others but whatever. Also looking for something fairly straight forward as far as install goes, dont have a fab shop.

Please let me know your thoughts on each and also personal experience with them.

Car is currently a 91' 745ti with a AW71

isn't the T5 the easiest to get an adapter kit for a volvo?
i like going for the easy way out always, so i voted for...

so ive got a couple things locally that I have sourced:

T5 transmission with 55k from a 89 Saleen for $300
Getrag from Mike for ?????

Car will be the DD for the time being and see some track/dyno time as well once all is said and done...
but may come off the road and turned into a weekend/fun/track car, we'll see
If "track" = dragstrip, you'll probably want the auto as it's the cheapest option & prolly best for drag racing.
If "track" != dragstrip, then go a manual option; automatics aren't any fun for starters, and on a racetrack you don't want to have the lack of control inherent in an auto.

From all the discussions I've seen, the M90 probably isn't financially viable if you're not in Europe. Keep an eye out for a Getrag, but it's not likely to happen real soon & I suspect you'll end-up with a T5 (even though it probably isn't the first choice ... but then I guess you'd love a Supra Turbo 6spd & that's impractical too, first choices can't always be had!).

Close ratio T5 from a camaro (with 2.95 first gear). It will hold just dandy. Rated at 330ft/lb, but they have lived for many moons behind drag cars.

And then if you DO end up breaking a gear, you can upgrade to strait-cut gforce or astro gear sets with the T5.

Close ratio T5 from a camaro (with 2.95 first gear). It will hold just dandy. Rated at 330ft/lb, but they have lived for many moons behind drag cars.

And then if you DO end up breaking a gear, you can upgrade to strait-cut gforce or astro gear sets with the T5.

for 2500, assuming you can get a clutch combo with the lh 2.4 flywheel that doesn't suck/slip/die a violent fast death.

Sorry, I dont drink the t5 cool-aid anymore, esp not after the mustang guys popped in to tell me what was up after I retired the second t5.

as far as AW's are concerned...is spending the money to built it up right worth it, ie clutches, TQ, ect? Ive seen a few that were short lived...so.....

I have seen the stock trans with accum mod, walmart fluid and VB hold up just fine though. maybe kenny can chim in aout this.

I dont mind have a Auto as long is it will hold up for some abuse...pretty much everything except neutral drops :)

for 2500, assuming you can get a clutch combo with the lh 2.4 flywheel that doesn't suck/slip/die a violent fast death.

Sorry, I dont drink the t5 cool-aid anymore, esp not after the mustang guys popped in to tell me what was up after I retired the second t5.

2500? From what I see, it's 1700 for a complete T5 with the Gforce gearset. Gearset alone is 1100.

Wouldn't the clutch problem be the same across the board for any manual transmission? They all have to bolt up to the same flywheel regardless if its flat/stepped/LH2.4/etc. Perhaps I am mistaken, but on the flat flywheels, there is enough meat on the outside edge to use a 240mm pressure plate/clutch

And out of curiosity, what did the mustang guys tell you? That T5's suck? What are they using as replacements?

Back