• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Can I remove 744 headliner without removing rear/front window?

89_740Turbo

My headliner has finally fallen and is being held up by the felt itself. I know you can remove the headliner on a 744 by removing the rear windshield but I honestly am not looking to get that in depth.

After some research, I found a thread on MatthewsVolvoSite that talks about removing the front seats and then being able to slide it out the front door - https://www.matthewsvolvosite.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26848

Is there any way I can remove the headliner without removing an entire front/rear window? If not, I'm going to use an intense amounts of adhesive and glue.

Just believe what you read on Matthewsvolvo. I've done it several times. IIRC it has to come out the back door, however, you do have to remove at least one front seat in order to rotate the headliner so it will go vertical and fit out through the door opening.

:nod:
I've never heard that you have to remove the front or rear window - though that would definitely make it easier! Agreed that you should be able to manipulate out though one of the doors.

Expect it to be frustrating though as the headliner "pan" will likely be dry and very fragile after 32 years. IIRC, I repaired cracks on the back side of my '86 745 pan with fiberglass patch prior to re-lining it. Take your time. I did mine in 2009 and it's still looks great.

Wagons are easier than sedans because it comes out the hatch.

Are you trying to pull it out without breaking it? As Al mentions it will be very brittle and probably crack on the way out if you are trying to magic it out.

Just believe what you read on Matthewsvolvo. I've done it several times. IIRC it has to come out the back door, however, you do have to remove at least one front seat in order to rotate the headliner so it will go vertical and fit out through the door opening.

I pulled a headliner from a 960 in Roy's yard a few years ago. It wasn't too bad. Wouldn't expect it to be much different in a 740.

As mentioned, pulling the front seats makes life much easier.

If not, I'm going to use an intense amounts of adhesive and glue.
BTDT-- That doesn't really work. Neither does the spirally twist pins or T-pins. Best bet is to rip out the fabric and scrape off the foam until you can take out the structure to reupholster it.

Hey that just gave me an idea-- What about (all done in place) scraping off the foam, light sanding, then roll on a thin coat of pickup bed liner with a weenie roller? Mask off the trim, etc. first of course.

When I did my headliner it broke at the thin slivers beside the sunroof holes. That included removing the front passenger seat. It was badly deteriorated anyway. I repaired it with epoxy and scrap metal sheets... what I had on hand.

If you don't have a sunroof, be glad you don't while doing this job. It was an absolute pain reupholstering my pre-glass sunroof, in addition to structural weakness it gave my headliner.

ANYWAY, remembering the reason I started this reply... DO NOT BUY THIS STUFF as your headliner adhesive. It's what I used and my headliner is pulling off the dipping point where the headliner has a little more space after the sunroof assembly (over rear left and right passengers' heads). Another thing to blame the sunroof for.

Are you trying to pull it out without breaking it? As Al mentions it will be very brittle and probably crack on the way out if you are trying to magic it out.

I mean ideally I'd like to pull it out without cracking it. I reckon that with the removal of the drive rand passenger seat, it should be possible to angle it and take it out

When I did my headliner it broke at the thin slivers beside the sunroof holes. That included removing the front passenger seat. It was badly deteriorated anyway. I repaired it with epoxy and scrap metal sheets... what I had on hand.

If you don't have a sunroof, be glad you don't while doing this job. It was an absolute pain reupholstering my pre-glass sunroof, in addition to structural weakness it gave my headliner.

ANYWAY, remembering the reason I started this reply... DO NOT BUY THIS STUFF as your headliner adhesive. It's what I used and my headliner is pulling off the dipping point where the headliner has a little more space after the sunroof assembly (over rear left and right passengers' heads). Another thing to blame the sunroof for.

If not to use that headliner adhesive, what should I use then? I did my research and couldn't find anything other than that adhesive spray.

I used the 3M spray after scraping the headliner so as to get a good surface for bonding on our '86 740 turbo sedan.

No issues removing the headliner ithrough the door: yes, remove the seats first.

Get new headliner material from a fabric store: I did a color change which went well.

Daniels is a realist. The sunroof gives you some serious weak points. Maybe perfect climate cars can survive that pull but I would say 9/10 won?t. I dunno the other mention of reinforcing first might be worth a shot.

Also keep in mind for replacement material it has to be pretty thin. If it?s a little too thick none of the trim will fit back on after and you?ll have a new issue.

Also keep in mind for replacement material it has to be pretty thin. If it?s a little too thick none of the trim will fit back on after and you?ll have a new issue.
Yeah that's right. Get the 1/8" thick headliner instead of the more common 1/4" thick.

Isn't there a good description of this process on brickboard.com?

I've removed 744 and 944 headliners multiple times. Easiest if you take the passenger front seat out, the console, and the right side of where the radio sits.

Back