• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Delco A-6 engine driven compressor

apparently the old 240 compressors get used fairly frequently for that.. can't recall their name but they basically look like what you'd find on a small to medium home air compressor lol

The York works in that application because it's like a little piston engine, with it's own oil supply in the 'crank case'. And it works well enough pulling in air on an ongoing basis.

I think the A6 might be the newer style that needs oil to circulate around with the refrigerant to keep working? Might not last too long acting as an air compressor sucking in 'dry' air. It might last a bit if you put some grease in it.

Yea, I've heard abbout the york's. They seem to work great but because of space issues i'd prefer the A6 type. Chumley360 Thanks for the link man! Quite a lot of people seem to run them that way. The thing i cant understand is that the A6 also has its own oil reservoir with internal oilpump for lubrication. The oil will be pumped so it'll reach the pistons from the backside so why would there be need for an inline oiler ?

If an inline oiler is necessary wouldn't it be an idea to let it suck from the pcv? that way it'll get some oil misty air i guess.

For what end use are you planning to run this compressor? Most of the off-road guys suggest and in-line oilier for their air tools. It's the lazy mans way to no forget air tool oil. If you're just looking to fill a tank for air bags, then no in-line oilier should be needed. Guess it just depends on your end use and what you like.

We have onboard air on both of our 4Runners, but just for re-airing when you hit pavement again.

My wife has a ViAir kit on hers, lower capacity electric pump, but a 2.5 gal tank underneath. So she can run the tank up to 150 psi in advance, and get 1 1/2, maybe 2 tires back up to pressure before running the tank down and filling the rest at the pump's speed. I have an Arb dual compressor, it cranks out a fair amount of air, I haven't bothered adding a tank to my system so far. She'd be better set to use air tools if we had any, but we don't.

primary use wil be for airride suspension.

I've found some more info on these compressors regarding use of the valve cover for slightly oil misty air.

''The high limit temperature is always a maximum of 250 degrees F, but 225 degrees F is a more favorable high end temperature. Should the discharge temperature exceed 250 degrees F, the system will likely begin to fail. Failure will be in worn rings, acid formation, and oil breakdown and “carbonization” of the oil. An important thing to remember is that if the discharge line is 250 degrees F, the actual discharge valve is approximately 75 degrees F hotter, meaning that the valve itself may be 325 degrees F. Most refrigeration oil will begin to break down and vaporize at 350 degrees F. In that condition, serious overheating problems result. Copeland compressors state that the discharge temperature should never be over 225 and an average discharge temperature should be around 180 to 200 degrees F. on a normally operating system.''

if you were to pull air from the valve covers it'll be heated up some already, Could that become to hot after compression?

You really don't need much volume for that, do you? Unless you're doing that car-hopping competition thing, lol. You might just consider an accumulator tank and a modestly sized electric compressor that can be mounted anywhere.

haha no car hopping competitions!, Since the air pressure is quite high (150psi in front bags) the tank pressure has to be approximately 200psi. previously i had only 10L tank and that wasn't enough to lift the whole car so half way i'd had to wait to be able to get moving thus decided to fit a 20L tank. The wait time to fill the small tank was already almost 8 minutes with a viar 444c so the double capacity would take twice as long (way to long) Or i could install 2 compressors but it'll still take to long so i'd have to buy 4 of them and what point my alternator would need an upgrade. And as most people might know .. The annoying whining

Ps. After rebuilding an electric compressor i've got nothing good to say about them anymore.. weak design and poor quality

Back