• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

How important is SCP vs BCP in heads?

jackth97

Hi everyone, I'm taking the first steps towards converting my 1983 244, NA B23F, to a turbocharged motor. Here is my current plan:

90+ turbo exhaust manifold
15g turbo
DO88 intercooler
Megasquirt
T5 transmission swap
I'm looking into dished pistons for a lower compression ratio, however I have been reading about people having success using the flat tops as long as the boost isn't too high and detonation is kept in check.
Not sure what cam I want to use yet.
(Just rough ideas for now, still learning and figuring things out!)

I'm not chasing big power, just want to give my car a little more kick. Maybe 200-250 hp at the wheels?

Anyway, this brings me to my main question right now: I have a BCP 398 head, from late 82 per the casting numbers. From other posts on TB, this is not desirable, as the head can flex and warp more easily when boosted. (My understanding.) However, I haven't been able to get a clear picture on when this becomes an issue. For moderate power/boost, am I okay with the head I've got? Or should I find myself an SCP head? I'd like to stick with what I've got if at all possible. But if it's going to be problematic from the start I'd rather go with a different option.

Hopefully I'm not coming across as too much of a noob here! Haha. I've got plenty of mechanical experience, but this is my first time taking on a project like this (not much experience with turbos). I'm excited to learn more and any help is appreciated!

I'm not sure if the B23E/F block had the same issues as the B23FT did, but, since the cylinder walls are kinda thin, I probably would go ahead and run a later head. Either a 160 or 398 will work, as long as it is SCP, so mid-1984 and newer production. Even a 530 or 531 will work, you just won't have the lip on the cam cover for setting TDC while doing the t-belt.

Hi

BCP is only relevant if you make decent power (250hp+), or have "decent" amount of ignition knock :roll:
The heads with BCP will actually bend where the internal support is insuficcient and let the headgasket blow.

YS
JB

Last edited:
There is an article hidden somewhere on the board here that Mike Aaro wrote about the cylinder heads. The quote I remember is if you are going to run significant boost over stock you should get the head welded if it's BCP. That said I personally don't run much over stock @12psi and the 405 head I am using has been fine. But if you plan on hammering on it with a lot of boost get it welded.

It will be fine for those power levels, unless there’s significant corrosion near the HG sealing ring.

If it doesn't detonate, the head gaskets last longer. :^)

I put 20# from a GTX to a ~92 FT / 530 with an Elgin Turbo cam and it lives happily as a winter daily in a mid 80's 760. Even passes DEQ!
Mahle turbo flat tops (bricks 700+grams) and head gasket no studs, Maxspeed rods, 3" exhaust all the way.

Last edited:
200-250 whp isn't just a little more kick. That is basically 3X the power the B23 makes stock. That is not going to happen at low boost levels.

You're right lol. I pulled that number out of my ass. Basically what I want to do is get it running with a turbo on it and see where it ends up in terms of power then go from there. Main point is I'm not after any specific HP goals at the moment, mostly want to get this done as a fun project and learning experience, and then maybe start thinking about bigger power later.

Thank you for the input everyone! I think I'll send it with what I have for now - if it doesn't work for me I'll be posting in the wanted forum for a new head :lol:

Back