• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

B230+T5 3k rpm shake

^^ fair points, but I'd wager that the majority of T5 swappers have not checked runout and those that have (Stiggy Pop? dbarton?) still had the rattle.

AFAIK, the annoying decel rattles of the T5 are the sounds in the videos below. Several members including myself have cured this by using the large 4cyl / Ranger slip yoke damper (F6ZZ-4841-BA). Suspicions are that this was an issue with the 4cyl Ford cars and is why the large slip yoke damper exists.

If there are strong vibrations felt through the seat, etc I would suspect driveshaft or pinion misalignment.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WcjU71iTPmo" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3_lVlGC9H_A" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I am pretty sure I have that same type of vibration with my CD009 swap, but since I have no side windows, front bushings, interior, carpet, sound deadening, wheel balancing, and I am wearing a helmet, it is hard to tell. I will try and pay attention this weekend to confirm.

Interesting tidbit here as well. When I had the old Toyota W50 trans in the car, 1pc driveline, I had a similar vibration, not NEAR as bad, figured it was due to a ****ty rebuild, so hearing it on the T5, it apparently was not.

Anyone running a 2.5L redblock with a T5? Same resonance?
I've got a 1310 dampened Ranger yoke from a 96, the 1310 pinion flange that bolts to the Volvo diff, and plan to go single-piece if I can. My current engine is using a flat flywheel but I have a dogdish I'm considering using if there's a thought it might help.

I performed an e-fan swap on my 1990 740 turbo T5 swap, and what I thought was driveline vibration may have been my mechanical fan? The car had noticeably much less vibration and made it feel much more refined with the electric fan.

Confirmation, the V6 yoke and the 1pc Coleman EDC shaft, still rattles like an SOB, even with the new trans with the billet bearing retainer. No difference between the 2pc dampened shaft and the 1pc Coleman.

Next up will be the Ranger yoke I guess. Yay.

There was someone, I remember...might not have even been a volvo...

Anyway, I remember they were chasing a driveline vibration, and basically replaced everything to no avail. Ended up being a cracked flywheel or something like that, that you'd never suspect was the issue...

Got my garbage all back together. There was a dowel missing and backed out bellhousing to adapter bolts. Added a new dowel and loctited/Nord-Lock-ed bolts. Easier shifting (duh) but vibration is still there. It's tolerable, but still there.

I still plan on converting to hydraulic motor mounts.

Damn, I had some pretty good success with the Ranger damper, although I found an old one in the junkyard that fit 1310s.

I just got my LS 4.8'd car up and running and am using the same T5 trans and driveshaft as I was with the redblock but with a non-dampened yoke...and it's loud as hell at 2100. I'm actually considering putting the dampener back on to see if it helps. I think these gearboxes are just, well, terrible, lol.

I've been driving the 242 the past two weeks quite a bit.. and while I have complaints, I'm not sure an odd harmonic at 3k is one of them. I'll try and pay better attention, but its only really buzzy on decel from higher rpms... but I could also be glossing over it. I'll see what it do.

My buzzing shifts around as I swap components around. It was at 3000 with the underdrive pulley, ASS motor mounts, poly trans mount, and regular slip yoke. Swapped that stuff for a harmonic balancer, combo of rubber mounts, and big Aerostar slip yoke. Less noticeable and down to to 2300 RPM on light accel and decel now. The head is about to pinch an AC line shut though.

Attachments

• F7ACCCA9-701E-42F3-8F6C-DA89741BC3F9.jpeg
    F7ACCCA9-701E-42F3-8F6C-DA89741BC3F9.jpeg
    300.3 KB · Views: 9
I've been driving the 242 the past two weeks quite a bit.. and while I have complaints, I'm not sure an odd harmonic at 3k is one of them. I'll try and pay better attention, but its only really buzzy on decel from higher rpms... but I could also be glossing over it. I'll see what it do.
what's higher rpms? mine has an incessant rattle at 5600-6400 ish that is 10x worse on decel

buzzing does get fairly intense but it seems to be more of a mph thing than an engine rpm thing in the blue car, I also noticed a rear end clunk this morning as well, so... greaaaat.

checked pinion angle lately? Maybe torque rod bushing?
probably do need to check that. and replace the crush washer with the solid shim if nothing untowards has happened internally. (otherwise I guess I'm raiding another rear end for a different ratio)

Mine is RPM dependent as well. Pinion angles are really good actually, both directions, and I'm back to the 1pc with a Coleman HDC shaft and the V6 yoke. I kinda wonder about following suit from the aluminum M46's and putting an NVH weight on the tailshaft housing though, see what that does? The 4Runner has one as well.

Back