• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 What are some important things NLA on volvo 240s?

Steering shaft speshl Volvo break-away safety U-joints are 'available'

uhhh where do they crack because i had a major accident 2 years ago that crushed the front end so hard the grill hit the engine.after i got the frame "fixed" it is nearly perfectly straight just the smallest bit bent up. because i want to hit 260kph and dont want to meet my dad or paul walker just yet.

JohnMC's build had a post about those?

Coleman 119-112. It's a solid steel shaft that replaces the OEM shaft between the steering column and the steering rack. Splines and size are correct, you'd need to grind a little groove for the bolts to fit in since the Volvo u-joints put the bolt into the shaft as a second way to hold it in place (in addition to the clamping action).

uhhh where do they crack because i had a major accident 2 years ago that crushed the front end so hard the grill hit the engine.after i got the frame "fixed" it is nearly perfectly straight just the smallest bit bent up. because i want to hit 260kph and dont want to meet my dad or paul walker just yet.
IDK if I took a pic?
The thin spot where it holds the bearing cap? :uh:

Strange experience rotating the steering wheel of a 240 w/ a whole bunch of slop like an old beat steering box amerikun car/50s ford and then have it let go and the steering shaft just go *clunka* *clunk* *clunk* in the engine bay (I didn't know what the heck to think when that happened?)...:wtf:
... sure glad that happened before loading it up @ ~1mph/no traffic sans power assist, but it was an entirely new experience at the time?...:omg:

*one more thing to file away & worry about / check on the list with an unknown 240 bought used/30 years old off the street* One more gray hair/mile marker on the way to silver fox stage of life? *sigh* :lol: :uh:
IDK there were pics circulating on here some years back someone took showing a cracked one & how to id new/suspiciously china-shiny craptermarket steering sector shaft u-joints? I'm too lazy to search/forgetting the SN...plead senility here...

Solid en-lieu of the original break-away joints, got it! Makes sense...for as many miles and as much traffic as you drive the thing in...and even then, who knows?

Last edited:
Back