• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 drains

sloopy

2-digit whp
Are there supposed to be drains at the very front of the rockers on a 240? The furthest forward drain I see is on the side of the rocker behind that plastic plug inside the car. It seems like there should be one at the very front of the rocker. I park my car on a downhill and when it rains, the front floors will be seriously flooded. I've unclogged the drains on the side of the rockers, but it seems like there should be another drain hole at the very front of the rocker to prevent it from filling up. The hole for my plug on the front driver's side rocker (the one on the side, not the floor) is completely messed up and there is no seal whatsoever. Even then, the water can only get in if the rocker is filling up with water and not draining. I'm really tempted to just drill a hole in the front of the rocker :^)

My rocker has a drain right behind the front door seam

Vacuum out all the leaves out of the rockers first... and also make sure your leak isn't coming from the windshield corners

I'll try to see if I can find more stuff stuck in the rockers. I don't see any evidence of water leaking in from the windshield. I do know the rockers are filling with water and the water is coming in around the rocker plugs. Doesn't it seem like there should be a drain at the very front though? Otherwise how will the water drain out when parked on a downhill?

Here you can see the front drain on the far left. There is none in front of the jack point.

19.jpg

I'll try to see if I can find more stuff stuck in the rockers. I don't see any evidence of water leaking in from the windshield. I do know the rockers are filling with water and the water is coming in around the rocker plugs. Doesn't it seem like there should be a drain at the very front though? Otherwise how will the water drain out when parked on a downhill?

you're asking questions that probably weren't asked in the early 60s and early 70s when the first and second revision of this chassis was designed.

I recommend butyl cord around the body plug to keep water from intruding.

Ah I see. My seams were all smashed up along with my floors and frame rails and some of the drains have literally been pinched shut.

Drill a drain hole, paint it with something good, a few layers thick, move on.

On that note, I'm just noticing that there is no drain at the very front of the rocker. So if the car is parked nose down, rainwater will fill the rocker until you drive it again.

I believe the path for the front drain hole starts in the engine compartment. There is void just near and below of the hinges. If it fills with debris, the debris get pushed all the down and clogs the hole. So now that water rises and travels towards the side plugs. Yours are compromised, so the water gets in. I may be wrong. But every now and then I get shop vac down into those voids to clear them. Then go from underneath and poke a wire into the drains to make sure they are clear. Place a hose into those voids and make sure the water is running out.

You can also go inside the car. Remove the carpet and then remove the plastic plugs on the inner rocker. That gives you good access with a shop vac crevice tool to suck all the crud out.

You can also go inside the car. Remove the carpet and then remove the plastic plugs on the inner rocker. That gives you good access with a shop vac crevice tool to suck all the crud out.

I haven't had an interior for about 2 years haha. I cleaned out the rockers when I first ripped everything out and I cried when I saw how rusty the entire insides of the rockers are.

Back