• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Turbo oil feed line doesn't seal

DavePolyakov

I've just gone through 3 pairs of new copper washers trying to get this to seal. It's a 15g that I'm still using the stock feed line for, to make it fit I have to use a pry bar to gently put it into position so I can feed the bolt. Why would it not be sealing? I'm using new washers, anyone else experienced this? The surfaces are clean.

I have had really stubborn feel line connections before. Try backing off on the bolt and re-tightening them. The surfaces will crush further into the sealing rings. You might have to to that more than once to get them to seal. I have had to do the same with the power steering rack connections.

I just tried loosening then retightening with new washers and it didn't seal. Maybe the right side of the hole has gotten damaged from sideways pressure on the bolt due to the fact the 15g isn't "perfectly" clocked to use the stock feed line but very close. I know this is happening because the old washers are kind of ovalized. Hope this makes sense. You can sort of see it in the photo. Would trying 12x18 washers instead of 12x16 possibly fix this problem?
IMG-0733.jpg

Some liquid thread sealant or even better loctite 592 thread sealant will take care of your issue. Smear it on all sealing surfaces. Even the edges of the banjo fitting and sealing washers. You won't have to crush tighten it and it'll be easier to remove later.

Is this worth trying with washers that have already been crushed? I used all my new ones up. Does Loctite 592 need time to cure?
Some liquid thread sealant or even better loctite 592 thread sealant will take care of your issue. Smear it on all sealing surfaces. Even the edges of the banjo fitting and sealing washers. You won't have to crush tighten it and it'll be easier to remove later.

Last edited:
Is the bolt bottoming out in the threads, and not fully sealing the washers?

You can also try some "bonded sealing washers" or "dowty seals" available at most hydraulic shops. Bring the bolt and the banjo side if you can.

Is the banjo fitting hitting the body of the turbo before it is tight?

Yes, it's contacting the turbo. The line also barely touches the bolt for the wastegate bracket. I slip a piece of rubber hose over this so it's not metal on metal contact, it's just not installed right now.
IMG-0734.jpg

IMG-0735.jpg

Is the banjo fitting hitting the body of the turbo before it is tight?

With some cheap crush washers I have had to lightly sand with very fine sandpaper to remove burrs that were preventing sealing.

I have also heated used copper crush washers on the gas stove to soften them for a second use in an emergency.

I have tried to remove as many banjos on my car and moved to -AN fittings wherever possible, -AN seals so much easier.

Best to get it flat at the right angle if it's not flat on that banjo bolt tends to leak then. What I found. I've reused used copper washers so many times it ain't that....

Yes, I had to hold the hard line in a certain position to get it right, it just barely doesn't contact the turbo anymore. I used 12x18 washers. I wonder how it has sealed the last several times without having to do that.

Best to get it flat at the right angle if it's not flat on that banjo bolt tends to leak then. What I found. I've reused used copper washers so many times it ain't that....

Did you make sure to clean the coked oil out of the feed pipe? That's why Volvo says never reuse the feed pipe. It gets filled up with coked oil which is very hard to clean out. The lack of flow kills turbos.

When I needed a feed pipe. I bought fittings for the block and the turbo and got a generic -4AN premade hose for the oil feed.

Back