• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

m46 bushing/shifting questions

swrd2k

I read a lot that people have slow shifts in old tired m46's and that they also deal with a lot of noise, mine is dead quiet but I am wondering if the sts machining bushings will help my 1-2 shift because it is nearly a couple seconds just waiting for it to want to go in to second and the shifter has a lot of play, hoping it is not the shifter cage bushings or clutch needing adjustment but I don't really know. My trans was said to be somewhat new and it definitely is not crusty but it is the only thing making my car slightly unenjoyable to drive, just want to know if I can resolve it slightly while I search for a T5.

Those shifter bushing help but what you describe may be more oil related. Some redline MTL usually helps these gearboxes shift well. It is normal for the trans to warm up in the cold weather before it shifts smoothly. Just be easy on it till it's warmed up.

Like Dave said it’s the fluid, had same thing with mine, put in fresh Type F ATF and let it warm in the morning and shifts smooth. If you drain the fluid make sure to drain the pan on the overdrive unit and replace that gasket. I did replace my bushings yesterday and unless you absolutely need bushings don’t worry about it. Disassembling the shifter and then having to lower the transmission to finish the job is not worth it unless it’s needed. Simply couldn’t get my hands between trans and linkage to remove set screw from underneath car

Currently I am definitely not making enough power to break this transmission I just want my shift into second to be a little better at least, currently mine has the atf fluid I was thinking about the red line. I just thought potentially the bushing because it seems like the shifter assembly isn't moving in neutral when I take off the boot and look but the bushing seems to flapping around a bit with a slight wiggle. If fluid makes the biggest difference I will do that very soon. It is only slightly better when warm though to be honest

Check your clutch adjustment also could be making it hard to put into gear. No clue if you got cable clutch that you can adjust or not cause you didn't say. Not a problem on a turbo 740 with hydraulic clutch.

Check your clutch adjustment also could be making it hard to put into gear. No clue if you got cable clutch that you can adjust or not cause you didn't say. Not a problem on a turbo 740 with hydraulic clutch.
Its an 83 240 turbo I do have a clutch cable, doesn't seem to be much of a problem going into 1st and reverse though

It sounds like an issue related to the second gear synchronizer. If incorrect fluid is used or if fluid is cold, the synchro cannot "cut" through it as well to slow the gears down.

It sounds like an issue related to the second gear synchronizer. If incorrect fluid is used or if fluid is cold, the synchro cannot "cut" through it as well to slow the gears down.

will definitely try the fluid then asap, normal mtl redline or mt-90? hopefully it is still fine I have been very light with it

Well I have 340k miles on a 82 m46 that has used MTL for over 20 years. Still shifts better than my m47 in my wagon which is a rebuild from Volvo. YMMV.

I think I will do the bushings since mine has bad up and down play as well as a trans mount and then probably the mtl, I read in an older thread towery said his had the up and down play the same way and it helped quite a bit

Back