• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Possible Broken M46 Clutch Fork?

thevinman99

I have a t5 swap in my 240 that is running a yoshifab flywheel clutch package that retains the stock m46 fork. Completed the swap 1500 miles ago. Over the last few days after driving for some time, it would become very difficult to shift, would want to grind going into every gear and my grab point was inconsistent. I would tighten the clutch cable slightly and the problem would go away for 20 minutes and then once again, the clutch was trying to grab with the pedal fully depressed. The car would inch forward. I suspect the fork is bending. Does anyone have experience with broken forks or pivot balls? I had an aftermarket one that broke instantly. This is supposedly an ?OEM? one. Does anyone sell reinforced forks or have recommendations for boxing them?

Is the pedal box collapsing? Is it pulling thru the firewall?

I thought my cable was stretching for awhile but it was just pulling thru the firewall. :oops:

Crawl under there and eyeball where the end of the fork is resting relative to the hole in the bellhousing. If it's way forward in the hole and the clutch still isn't releasing, you'll need to pull the trans/bellhousing and see what is happening in there. If there's plenty of room for it to move forward, and it still has room with the clutch pedal down, something else is happening, probably, like esmth says. Clutch pedal tab that pulls the cable is bending, the cable housing is collapsing, one of the ends is moving when it shouldn't.

Just to update this cause I don't know if Vin will. The problem was a bent aftermarket clutch arm. The thing was completely bent so it was unusable. He installed a genuine Volvo arm and it's working well so far.

Just to update this cause I don't know if Vin will. The problem was a bent aftermarket clutch arm. The thing was completely bent so it was unusable. He installed a genuine Volvo arm and it's working well so far.

I had ruled that out in my mind due to his OEM fork statement. The aftermarket forks are junk. Not only do they bend, the geometry is wrong before it is ever installed. Thanks for the update.

I bent/cracked my fork first, couldn't figure out why I had to keep adjusting the cable, then my pedal box collapsed.

It's a shame those POS MTC clutch release forks are still available. We found out the hard way, of course, back in 2014!

Yes. Can?t believe it. 2000 miles on the t5 swap and that?s my second fork. First one?s pivot mount broke after pushing the clutch down once. The flange thickness on those new ones isn?t even comparable to the flanges on the OEM ones. Glad the local volvo shop had one laying around. Am using the aftermarket cable. Haven?t changed that yet. Pressure plate is very light, feels like a newer car hydraulic clutch.

Back