• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

eBay 8v turbo header questions

VB242

I.M. Weasel
So I bought the $89.99 header and I know I have to flip the flange, but has anyone else run into the interference with the lower radiator hose or do I have an extra f'ed up version of this thing? What is the solution? I was thinking 2) 90 degree silicone elbows to route the radiator hose away from the pipe. Other than that I think I can make it work. Is it really worth the effort? I heard anecdotes of picking up 40hp with it.

SjtxOxPGk09RtUIAdM6AHnysgnuR8DtBZnEXz6lx8FHJKxexdW6euBGWOupSvGVgJEquigSOiyUPB20Z59Yz_RGowaOLUzhyFX-i6hOLgYqoBU4-FWBpLQ_V8Jj-8zvVrLjTHDM-djw=w600

From what I recall some people weld on a 90 degree aluminum elbow onto the pump. I also recall that it is imperative that you add a brace from the turbo flange to the head.

From what I recall some people weld on a 90 degree aluminum elbow onto the pump. I also recall that it is imperative that you add a brace from the turbo flange to the head.

I was planning on adding a brace, I'm thinking I'll need a blanket thing for the hot side, should I wrap the pipes? What's the best wrap?

Looks like it's contacting the hose?

Either some aluminum pipes and silicone hose cut for a custom fit or weld a new neck on the water pump. Custom made hose is probably easier.

I've only wrapped the down pipe under the car to keep heat from the floor. I used the stuff that summit racing sells. One of the big important steps a lot of people leave out is painting the wrap with the sealing paint they sell for that purpose. I did about three coats with that paint and the pipe has lasted many years now.

I don’t have that header but I used a hose of a Pontiac g8 that has a tighter bend off the pump and gave me an air gap, then I wrapped it in DEI heat tape.

ZoPKfgtl.jpg

I considered putting a 90 on the pump but decided I’d rather avoid having a one off water pump. Or go race car electric pump.

Not all of those Ebay headers are the same. Some provide more of a air gap to the lower hose. Welding a elbow on meads do that each time you change water pumps.

I am running the same header. I initially also ran into interference problems. I ended up solving the issue by cutting the water pump side of the hose shorter and re attaching it so the 90 degree bend was “pulled taught” if that makes sense. This was on a 740 however and it appears you have a different lower rad hose than the 740 one.

I am running the same header. I initially also ran into interference problems. I ended up solving the issue by cutting the water pump side of the hose shorter and re attaching it so the 90 degree bend was ?pulled taught? if that makes sense. This was on a 740 however and it appears you have a different lower rad hose than the 740 one.

Was it worth the effort? Did you notice any performance gains?

Back