• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

B230FT backfire under boost

paulcurran

My street driver is a 93 240 2.4 with a 94 940 turbo motor & T5. It has oversized pistons, RSI stage 1 cam & adj. gear with 2 deg. advance, Lostartof chips, 15 lbs. boost on 15g. Ran pretty well first 2000 miles, now it has started to cut out under boost, will actually backfire if the throttle is opened quickly. It started just occasionally doing this, now it's almost undrivable. No ck engine light, drives smoothly down the road. If you keep your foot in it now it will stop accelerating & buck until you lift, worse in higher gears under load.
Any ideas? I was thinking throttle switch, but runs well off boost. I don't have a wideband yet, sure feels like it's leaning out though. If the prepump quit would it act like this? Doesn't matter how much fuel is in the tank. Can cruise at 80 mph but can't pass from any speed.

pressurize the IC plumbing from turbo outlet to throttle body and see if there's a leak.

Got a wideband?
What do the plugs show?

Also, is the hose between the MAF and the turbo collapsing? Mine had a hole that I couldnt see at one point that gave me similar problems.

Also, is the hose between the MAF and the turbo collapsing? Mine had a hole that I couldnt see at one point that gave me similar problems.

This gave me major headaches! When I would mash the gas it would fall flat on it's face,let off the throttle and it would take off. The really bad thing that would also happen when it did this is the engine would suck one of the three front engine seals sideways and cause a major oil leak. This happened twice before I found a soft turbo intake hose.

I did get plenty of practice changing front seals....:oops:

backfire

Thanks for the input. The plugs are NGK BPR7ES .030 gap. I ordered an AEM wideband, are there any threads on wiring these? The intake hose going into the intercooler looks real soft, try to find a replacement & see what happens. Paul

hmm...mine still does this.....if i cut the engine off then back on sometimes it will go away.
yes, the consensus is that a wideband will work wonders for diagnosis....but i am thinking my intank pump is pooping out.

good luck......

pressurize the IC plumbing from turbo outlet to throttle body and see if there's a leak.

Do you have a boost leak, do not pass go do not collect 200$ pressurize the intake plumbing before you do anything else, this is a STAGE ZERO maintenance item.

Thanks for the input. The plugs are NGK BPR7ES .030 gap. I ordered an AEM wideband, are there any threads on wiring these? The intake hose going into the intercooler looks real soft, try to find a replacement & see what happens. Paul

Pull the plugs, what do they look like? White? Dark? You need to tighten up your plug gap a bit, stock is .028 for testing purposes go to a .026 just to be sure that you're not blowing it out. (later you can go back to a .028)

Follow the install instructions for the AEM, it's simple enough to not need a thread. At this point you don't need to know what's coming out of the engine. You need to know if un-metered air is going in, or already metered air is leaking out.

...has oversized pistons, & bucks until you lift
My wife's got oversized pistons as well and she doesn't stop bucking until I let off, I don't see the problem here. (she insisted that I wrote that)

I just installed an AEM wideband in my +T (92 245) today. Piece of cake, just follow the instructions for the most part. For the power and ground, I just used my existing gauge power and ground. I took all four wires out of the sheath to make them more flexible (I just coiled the extra wire up and zip tied it). I'm using the Nernst output (0-1V) for my O2 readings, so I ran the white wire (analog out) through the firewall, put a spade connector and insulator on it and hooked it up to the O2 sensor input terminal. There are no splices, the wire runs directly from the gauge to the O2 sensor. I've heard the Nerst output doesn't work well for others, but I hooked up this way and it works perfectly (LH2.4). YMMV. Be sure to set the pot on the back of the gauge to P4 for Nernst output if you're going to use one O2 sensor. I'll be using the serial out (blue wire) for data logging in the near future so I coiled the wire up in an easy to reach spot for later.

The toughest thing to do was to pass the wire with the six wide connector for the wideband O2 sensor through the firewall. I used the rubber plug near the exhaust manifold (there is a big wire bundle passing through it and there are two smaller areas that are open). Just cut as "x" in one of the open spots with a razor blade to allow the wire to pass through. It is a bit tricky to get the six wire white connector through. For an easier install, you can pull the wires out of the connector, they'll pass through much easier. Just be really sure that you mark down which wire goes where in the connector.

Hope this helps. If you have trouble, I can post some pics in a few days.

David, I'm glad you had success using the Narrow Band output off the AEM for LH. You are the exception to the rule, I would not recommend anyone using the simulated output for LH's O2 reading, it just adds one more variable to the equation. I used my AEM (I use an innovate LC1 now) I just had it stand alone, and not interface with any of the Volvo's systems.

If possible you should ground the O2 sensor to the ECU ground at the passenger footwell, this will help ensure a accurate reading by limiting ground faults.

Still the OP needs to confirm that he hasn't got any leaks, and that his MAF to turbo intake hose isn't collapsing.

David, I'm glad you had success using the Narrow Band output off the AEM for LH. You are the exception to the rule, I would not recommend anyone using the simulated output for LH's O2 reading, it just adds one more variable to the equation. I used my AEM (I use an innovate LC1 now) I just had it stand alone, and not interface with any of the Volvo's systems.

If possible you should ground the O2 sensor to the ECU ground at the passenger footwell, this will help ensure a accurate reading by limiting ground faults.

Still the OP needs to confirm that he hasn't got any leaks, and that his MAF to turbo intake hose isn't collapsing.

I don't quite get why everyone hates the Nernst simulator on the AEM widebands. Mine works great with L.H. 2.2 :e-shrug: For the most part L.H. is too dumb to know it is not getting a true narrow band signal.

Check fuel flow. If it is doing it almost all the time I would be suspicious of a fuel supply problem. When was the last time you changed your fuel filter?

Last edited:
Back