• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

My '78 242 L33 turbo build

2turbotoys

Salaminizer
So I decided I should start a project thread to have everything in one place..

EDIT: I decided to use a different car than the one shown here, page 9 has the pics of the new one. '78 242

The car:
1979 242, came with 4 speed and B21 running Megasquirt 1.whatever on the fuel only, PO installed this when the CIS pooped the bed. Brown hand stenciled graphics and pinstriping apparently done in the early 80's. Interior is in great shape. It had rwd 960 wheels and I drove it home for $2500. I have to find the first pics but this is what it looks like now.

g9Jvr3Dl.jpg

tRHAo4vl.jpg

Why this car:
Skip this if you don't care about anything except the mechanical stuff haha. My first Volvo was a 1978 242 in this exact color combo, but automatic (21 years ago or so). It was full of empty cigarette cartons and mineral samples. I drove it for a year or so and absolutely loved it. It started to have a minor transmission problem and I didn't know much about cars at the time, a friend of mine approached me saying a mutual friend needed a car, would I sell? Turns out it was my high school girlfriend (we weren't together for a few years at this point) who needed it. Sold it to her, it was her first car. The reason for this long winded story is that so many years later we reconnected and are now engaged, so this car is sentimental to both of us. As some of you may know, this can also help when you spend a bunch of time and money on a project haha.

Project goals:
Originally was 500 hp from a B230FT out of my old 740T. After some thought, planning, and blackberry brandy, I decided a V8 is a better, easier way to get to that goal. Research lead me to the all aluminum Chevy L33 truck motor. The descent into madness begins... I found an L33 on LSX4U.com, and they gave me a great price from a 2015 Silverado 1500, $1800 delivered. They dyno test before shipping, and found low oil pressure due to worn cam bearings, the engine had 175K on it! They offered new bearings, or a cam upgrade for $1250. I said go for the cam. After some thought I asked how much to build it to withstand boost, I was going to do that anyway, they gave me a # well under $3000. I said go for it, I can't do better than that. The final result was an engine that dynoed at 450 hp N/A, and they say it will make a solid 800 to 900 hp @ 15 psi. I told them it would be a single 67mm turbo, but probably twin 60mm turbos depending on the room I have left.
Another part of the goal is to do things once, and do them right. I plan on keeping this car forever

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/q1Vn7-Rffpw?rel=0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Untuned dyno test with new cam

mblISHMl.jpg

25s0Dlcl.jpg

Ji2Nkc4l.jpg

aNSjIPYl.jpg

aNSjIPYl.jpg

2BkPKxEl.jpg

Cam specs

Engine stuff:
Engine Tech H beam rods, dished pistons
Texas Speed VCM custom cam with upgraded springs and supporting mods + tune
42 lb injectors
ARP head studs
Melling high performance oil pump

I have already done R brakes, except the master cylinder which is sitting in my parts pile.

Transmission is a Tremec TKO 600 with carbon fiber synchros, waiting to mock it in for other upgrades, from Hanlon Motorsports, I can't recommend Bob Hanlon highly enough, I should have got all the transmission stuff from him, instead I did it the hard way and ended up buying the following:

ELNfqual.jpg

Some of the goodies I bought as a kit from Pace Performance. Kit part # GMP-TK635828

ES0V93Gl.jpg

Transmission is here!

Rear is going to be a Ford 9" which Moser will build with 3.73 or 3.89 ratio and Wavetrac
Edit: Got a 9" rear set up for a 240 but it needs tweaking to fit the R brakes, all new 3rd member, and after reading more about the Wavetrac it sounds like a turd, so will be doing something else

Suspension will hopefully be mostly Kaplhenke Racing, Ben has been patiently answering my questions..
JRZpro front and rear coilovers: Waiting on the rears still, got fronts
Adjustable trailing arms: Ben, I need these!
Adjustable front strut mounts: Got em
Strut brace: Got it in all its brown awesomeness
Master cylinder reinforcement: here
Hybrid torque arms: got em, look sweet
Spherical axle bearings: here
Adjustable swaybar end links: here
Maybe adjustable panhard bar: got it

To figure out still:
Electric waterpump, the only accessory I will be using is an alternator, got relocation kit to get rid of all that serpentine belt nonsense, alternator will be mounted on bottom of the block on the drivers side.
Edit: Our friendly neighborhood LSx guys convinced me this is a bad idea, so I got a Corvette Z06 pump instead. Bonus of this is it's only $100

Fuel delivery, have Aeromotive 340 fuel pump, but think the sending unit should be modified for AN-6 lines
Edit: This got much more complicated, will get into it in a future post but will be using a surge tank with 2 pumps being fed by the Aeromotive pump.

Need to find a body shop near me to pull the fender or tub, 245/40-17 isnt enough. remove rust and repaint in the same color, undecided on replacing some kind of brown 70's graphics..Keep them (done better) or no? It will get the brown pinstripes back.

WLkn7Myl.jpg

My garage help, her name's B

Thanks again Turbobricks for all the help throughout the years, I've been here since the 90's and this place and its members have helped me do some really fun stuff! Updates coming soon..

Last edited:
Nice project! You're doing it right for sure!

I'd go full poly bushings save for rear axle and rec. boxing front and rear arms in too. Bens stuff is amazing, yoshifab is phenomenal too.

This project seems like watching myself...if myself were in another universe with a lot more money! Everything I wanted my engine to be, even the transmission I wish I could have...dang. Subscribed for sure! Can't wait to see this come together.

Are you going to lower it? I feel like stock height would be hilarious for a little while just to go full troll :lol: It will look good lowered too. What wheels are those? Spacers/Adapters? :cool:

Edit: I LOVE dogs, so pet your puppy for me!

Funny you should say that, the rear has lowered itself over time, it got a bit better when I put some Bilstiens back there but the springs are beat. I have a set of 245 wagon springs that will probably jack the car up pretty good, haha. Its getting coilovers all the way around then and getting lowered a bit, probably 2" max. Low is slow on PA roads. Haha I'll say hi to B for ya

Btw, check out this: https://youtu.be/KFWihdbiZqE

Flying Sparks Garage did a LS 280z with an electric water pump. fast forward to 4:59 to see it. It's more of a remote mount situation, which might make things worse for you since you're going twin turbskies as far as engine bay room. It's nice to know about this option though. Since its electric there's little reason to have it anywhere near the accessory drive, but if that's where you've got room, I'm sure there are other options. Just thought I'd share this since I'd watched it months ago.

Whats up Dave and Dell? Hopefully we can go for a ride sooner than later, the shop where we are going to install this has a small unexpected backup, which is fine cause I'm still collecting parts.
That's an interesting solution on that 280z, not sure I have room for it, but cool to know its out there.

Small update...STS clutch pedal, IPD swaybars, and 18" spare tire added to the parts pile...I'm running out of room to store parts...transmission is still in the back of my V50 for the last couple days haha

No progress, just pics to entertain

e4LKDK3l.jpg

B is demanding payment for her hard work!

ZStLkHJl.jpg

So much work both my helpers are worn out completely

oM9FUuHl.jpg

Some 240 goodness, the 242 is sitting on my V50's stock rims, I really like the way they looked, but won't fit over the R brakes

PU0BllYl.jpg

My friend Tony reducing the amount of tire scrape over bumps, semi successful lol

This car is going to look incredible once completed. Can’t wait to see the items I sold to you on the car!

Too bad it can’t use my NOS/NIB flathood also.

I cant wait either! Can't fit the engine under a flat hood...and I really like the quad rounds. I've had people driving by taking pics with their phone instead of watching where they are going, talking my ear off at the gas station, beeping with thumbs up on the highway, I'm a bit shocked at the public reaction to driving this car around, even in mostly stock form.
Taking my temporary 245 wagon springs to work for mil spec paint tomorrow, we are painting a bunch of stuff so I'm going to slip them thru that process haha

I cant wait either! Can't fit the engine under a flat hood...and I really like the quad rounds. I've had people driving by taking pics with their phone instead of watching where they are going, talking my ear off at the gas station, beeping with thumbs up on the highway, I'm a bit shocked at the public reaction to driving this car around, even in mostly stock form.
Taking my temporary 245 wagon springs to work for mil spec paint tomorrow, we are painting a bunch of stuff so I'm going to slip them thru that process haha

You'll be surprise of other peoples reactions. I had a guy a bro dowzer chase me down to get a photo the other week.

Back