• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Actual rear adjustable coilover idea!

johngeiser

I hate doing this guys, I really do, but for once I think I found something worth looking at. After searching I couldnt find any info.

When looking for coilover options for my 240 I did the front conversion no problem. The rears seemed pretty complicated so I decided to just cut the springs and run s10 shocks and call it a day. But I recently was talking to a friend who builds tons of Datsuns. Well he looked at my setup and suggested using a QA1 Adjustable shock for the rear of my car. Which is one of these (or similar, they make non threaded ones also, and you can swap out springs as needed.)

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/h...pvOORmqPni7Z48kkfWH2KkPDoErrkM2GPlRoCGevw_wcB

The rear end of the Datsun he used it on has a very similar shock setup. He's running the top mounted ONLY to the mounting peg and then on the trailing arm on the bottom. So no rear spring needed. I'm honestly considering attempting this, but I definitely want to go a safer route. Anyone think this would be logical at all?

I would personally rather see the top mounted with a tab on the other side as well just to avoid any extra stress on the peg. Although after looking through some chassis setups and 4 link writups, there are lots of people using just the peg for upper and lower. TCI is one company that has several of this style option.

But like the guys above have done, mounting to the spring perches is probably a better idea.

I considered making a replacement mount to replace the peg.

Anyone have any pictures of their setups? And any reason the spring area would be a better fit than the trailing arm?

Putting the coilover on the factory Shock stud is a bad idea.

First of all,,, its in single shear which for just a damper is ok but add the spring load and you got yourself some bad happenings.

Second of all. You don't have enough room in that spot to run a damper and a spring.

Last edited:
Wouldn't it mess up the geometry of the whole spring and shock setup unless you run turrets with an actual top mount and coilover setup?

I made these to move the shock to the back.

240trailarmcompleteweb_1024x1024.jpeg

Works pretty well.

The setup on my car could be duplicated very cheaply if you're not afraid of a little cutting and welding.

If you're not 'fraid of a little cutting and welding then don't go half hog, go whole hog:
file.php

file.php

A mere slip of a boy barely 20 years old with just a few parts from America and a couple of words of encouragement who had never previously bent tube or welded steel managed to do this.....
Shirley anybody can

9.3" rear travel, 28" links, Toyota 4-runner 8" back axle...and nothing hanging down..

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

Nice:

file.php

Long links, gentle arcs--need simple boxes
file.php

So prudy:
file.php

And he got some nice stuff for the front of the car: 50mm inverted Bilstein struts..
Stronger than Derp!
JVAB50mmrallyBilsteinVolvo_zps511bdf21.jpg

Back