• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Anyone imported a car from Europe under the 25-year rule?

v8volvo

Wondering if anyone has had experience bringing in a car from overseas for import under the 25-year exemption.

This was always a back-of-the-mind daydream kind of thing for me for years, but all of a sudden it is already 2022, and now some of the interesting mid-90s forbidden fruit that always seemed years away from being attainable is legal for import whenever. Volvos like manual-trans 2.5L 960s, B204GT cars, AWD 850s, TDI diesel 850s, manual trans R's. The diesel P80s are the ones I have fantasized about (along with a bunch of non-Volvo stuff), but they are all interesting.

Quite a few overseas import 850R's are already starting to show up -- mainly seem to be from Japan with RHD, which makes no sense to me. But we can get anything '97 or older now, and that includes an amazing variety of cool stuff.

Moreover the cars are extremely cheap in Europe.... A few thousand euro for nice ones. Especially the pre-emissions diesels which are now outlawed in many European cities and are thus becoming worthless there. Makes it seem silly to do it the old/hard way, buying an illegally imported engine or half-cut and doing a conversion starting with a US chassis. Why do all that when you can just buy a factory version of what you want for the price of a beater Civic??? At least that is the logic.

So -- is anyone else thinking about this? Anyone done it? Experiences, good or bad? Importer you liked or didn't like working with? Cost? Seems like common costs are something from $1000 to $2500 for the whole process start to finish -- acquisition in Europe, transport door to door, plus licensing process to get it legally in your hands and in your name. Still cheap, even if that stuff costs as much as the car did. But does it go smoothly? Do the folks offering to do this actually know what they're doing and follow through successfully with everything, especially the documentation?

Interested to hear anyone's thoughts, firsthand especially. Seems a lot of the importers are in Germany or Netherlands but due to winter corrosion issues in those areas the ideal for me would be to work with a source in France, Spain, or Italy.

Have thought the same many times, interesting to see if anyone here has done it. Living right near major shipping port is another plus for me, just always felt like I'd probably get scammed somehow if I tried to make it happen without having someone on the ground at the other end. Guess using an export company to facilitate would be easiest.

Friends have kei cars from Japan?
En lieu of spending/getting scammed spending $8k+ on new ATVs & side-by-sides & instead having something that can also be plated for road use & have a tilt/dump bed, pto accessories (chipper, snow blower, generator etc) & HVAC system for creature comforts?
They don’t care if they dent it up or scrap it after using it up tho for farming etc (cheaper than a new atv/side-by-side towing a mini dump yard trailer? thats done in 10 years too they figure?) ? Bit of a learning curve to try to figure out parts & service in the USA predictably without everything being custom or hacked or maimed/impossible to follow?

If it was a model that was no-rust Italian market, low miles, strict vehicle inspections say, LHD & (most importantly) shared body panels & paint/upholstery materials & codes w/a usa model, but you could get parts no problem thru the USA dealer network & easily otherwise, sure?
France doesn’t have vehicle inspections & Paris where they’re considering banning diesels/polluting cars, 25+ year old cars are roached down in the city HARD.
Idk about Spain for strict vehicle inspections.
No North Atlantic/coastal fog rust buckets please for sure!

It’s not really a legal problem so much as a logistics problem; shipping costs are way up & you have to bid against the Russians (or other eurotrash guys in the countryside/no emissions regulations for them either that don’t have to deal with long distance/overseas shipping anyway?) for eurotrash cars & deal with road salt / rust hit & miss. Hate to buy a bent rust bucket sight unseen & pay $4-6k shipping it three days, no?
Outbound shipping from USA to Europe or China is something that’s kinda reasonable for price (ish) anymore but still 2-4x what it used to be, depending?

Jap market cars unless it magically goes to Vladivostok, and even then, it’s still expensive shipping for those guys & they vulture less aggressively (than usual) @ (those) auctions (online bid sight unseen?) since they can’t go in person to sabotage / ‘know what they’re getting’.
Some of the Japanese Mercedes or Volvos are LHD which is/ can be nice?

I don’t want anything I can’t get body panels for in the junkyard or get parts for thru the USA dealer network or RHD really to DD in the USA.
That said, other engines/configurations w/permanent collector plate/no smog welcome if you can get away with that in your state!

Idk how old the information you’re reading is, but shipping even for s running ‘roll on, roll off’ ‘RORO’ car is more like $3k+ now even (shorter distances like USA-USA AK & HI to a major port if you have longshoreman gate clearance), idk on a container or extra paper work costs. $1500-2500 was the pre covid/inflation/ supply chain crunch price for a RORO.
Maybe it’ll come back down to something reasonable (inflation adjusted) w/ all the rush orders & stoppages?
Don’t hold your breath?

Online shopping is the new thing & shortage of truck drivers/road & port capacity on decaying infrastructure running @ ~3x it’s old intended capacity as designed 50-70 years ago so companies can outsource & people can buy their cheap junk from China & corn slurry food & ship it long distances stretching the just in time supply chain to the breaking point is the ‘new normal.’ foreseeable to compete with for logistics costs for person-person wholesale for the ‘little guy’ wanting a 1-off old used car it seems now.
Early covid car shipping or drump truck dirt & rock loads were ch33p tho…got a fair bit done, especially w/.79c/gallon gas!

Like anything auction & sight unseen friends report there being some killer deals & a few surprises they ate it on.
Yar! Ya pays your money & takes your chances!?

How brave are you feeling? I’d love a no rust 100km Japanese or Italian LHD thing that doesn’t justify registration/strict inspection costs anymore in its homeland that was garaged/cared for & shares paint/interior & body w/a usa model, broadly, too!
But getting it from its owner w/some pedigree to my door has costs/risks for sure…

Last edited:
I've done it many times for work, I used to do a lot of logistics related to cars. I have moved cars for Jamie as well as others in the industry and I would also recommend Jamie. He charges a flat fee, he's knowledgeable and passionate about what he does.

You can also do it yourself: it's not overly complicated and we're fortunate to have very reasonable taxes and fees. Once you had up your hours, you may find that you're better off going through someone like Jamie however, he does get much better shipping rates than a regular retail customer would.

France doesn?t have vehicle inspections
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contrôle_technique_des_véhicules_automobiles_en_France
Idk about Spain for strict vehicle inspections.
https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inspección_técnica_de_vehículos

Generally speaking, vehicle inspections in Europe are regulated by EU law and all EU and most non-EU countries, including Switzerland or Norway, have annual or minimum biannual inspections, with some being very strict like here in Austria.

Of course there will always be "black sheep" just handing out the stickers for another year without actually testing the car properly, but these are very rare.

Most places will not take the risk of being responsible when there is a major fault being detected on a vehicle for whatever reason (accident, being pulled over etc.).

you have to bid against the Russians (or other eurotrash guys in the countryside/no emissions regulations for them either that don?t have to deal with long distance/overseas shipping anyway?)

Come again?

Doesn't matter if you're in the countryside or not, you still need to go to inspection.
Emission regulation / testing is part of the vehicle inspection process or in some countries a separate testing in the same intervals as the inspection.
No sticker without emissions passed.

Russians do not buy cars around here.
If we're talking about exporting the cars to another country, it's mostly Romanians who are picking up the cars and selling them there or export them to Africa if they're really old and beat.
Also, a lot of Turks having small used car places here.

A German or French car would be thoroughly inspected. It's illegal to sell a car without the controle technique in France, and even if it's not as thorough an inspection as the German one it will still get you a vehicle without structural rust, etc...

I looked at a well sorted 850R a few weeks ago in France and the asking price was on par with what we see in the US. Seller sold it in a few days, but it had complete records and it was a factory 5 speed car. If you check sites like leboncoin.fr and lacentrale.fr, you can see some interesting cars. If nothing else, it makes good reading material while taking a dump.

Make sure the importer is aware of the laws in your state. The 25 year rule is Federal. I live in California, very difficult to import here.

I don't remember the deal with Land Rover Defenders, but the Feds crushed a few of those that were imported.

Jamie Orr from Orchid Euro has been importing stuff to much success for years, and has a very good reputation.

https://orchideuro.com/pages/car-importation

Last time I talked to him the deal was to have a broker wherever the vehicle is arrange to have it delivered to one of their facilities and then he takes care of the rest.

says they have been shut down since March 21, unless website just hasn't been updated

says they have been shut down since March 21, unless website just hasn't been updated

Look him up on Instagram or PM me and I'll get you his contact info. He's still very active, he brought in cars for Hoonigan and had me move them from MD to CA.

Make sure the importer is aware of the laws in your state. The 25 year rule is Federal. I live in California, very difficult to import here.

I don't remember the deal with Land Rover Defenders, but the Feds crushed a few of those that were imported.

That's a CA thing only. CA has been fighting the federal government to have its own emissions standards for years and it's all related. No other US states has additional requirements past what the feds would ask for.

Talked to a friend who has a Holden Ute here in Az, he told me long story short prepare to pay big bucks. He had to change so much **** even the lug nuts had to be changed because they didn’t meet US requirements

Talked to a friend who has a Holden Ute here in Az, he told me long story short prepare to pay big bucks. He had to change so much **** even the lug nuts had to be changed because they didn?t meet US requirements

Well, yes. Because he brought in a vehicle that was never sold here. Probably newer than 25 years too.

It's much easier to bring in a car model that was originally sold in the US market, if it's less than 25 years old. Then you basically have to install all the US spec parts to meet the safety and emissions specs for that model year US market car. If it's older than 25 years, you can bring it in with no changes to equipment.

Makes me think, my brother lives in the UK, maybe I can snag up a manual 940 turbo or 960. Of course shipping right now is all messed up and would likely be silly expensive.

You can buy a euro car for dirt cheap but the trip over is pretty much gonna even it out versus buying a car here but I’ve never shipped a car so what do I know, pray it doesn’t get stuck a mile off shore for 6-8 months

You can buy a euro car for dirt cheap but the trip over is pretty much gonna even it out versus buying a car here but I?ve never shipped a car so what do I know, pray it doesn?t get stuck a mile off shore for 6-8 months

If I were buying a car in europe, it wouldn't be so I could get a deal. It would be so I could get a spec that we never got here, IE manual 940 turbo

Back