• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 E-Brake Hardware

15A

World's Oldest Brewery
I have 3 sets of removed (used) hardware from 88-93 axles and none of them have the adjuster in them. Is this something that was not used on the later ones or something that as Murphy would have it, was lost or forgotten 3x?

The parts I speak of are #48 and #49. I also notice that this exploded view does not show the distance brackets either......which is why I suspect something different year to year.

240ebrake.jpg

I last messed with e-brakes 10+ yrs ago and always just swapping out the shoes. This time everything is out and I'm starting from scratch with no reference point.

The adjuster is called a 'spare part version' in the parts catalog. The original part is a solid piece of metal and was never sold separately.

The adjuster is called a 'spare part version' in the parts catalog. The original part is a solid piece of metal and was never sold separately.

Is this the bar with a slot at each end they call a 'distant bracket'?

This was a part of the car I never really did (Stealth did it with the axle as a whole). Should be a blast trying to get this thing back together.

Thanks very much Ian.

I've never seen an "adjuster" there. That #48 looks like it has a thumb-wheel on it that you would turn to adjust the shoes' distance to the inside of the rotor hat? Odd. As was mentioned, I've only seen it as a solid piece with notches at each end that fit against the shoes.

One tricky part is getting #38 folded/oriented correctly if it's been taken completely apart. Another is not having #41 slide out (it's captured within #38, so not that bad usually). And the best is yanking on #46 (spring) and having it slip just shy of dropping into the hole. A combination of needle nose vise grips locked on the end of the spring and a flat blade screwdriver through some hole (maybe through the access hole in the hub used to remove the four #45s, it's been a while for me) prying up on the spring together at the same time usually works.

240 e-brake assembly is a rite of passage for 240 owners.

I've only seen the adjuster on the very early 240s that I owned long ago. Like a 75 for example. Ever since it's always been the spacer flat piece of metal referred to above.

I had some super hero coffee and figured I gotta be smarter than the e-brake.....maybe. :oops:

Anyways, took me 20 minutes to get the left side done. 5 minutes for the right side. Already ran new cables - the entire axle and all the trimmings have been plated, painted and powder coated. You'd have to bring your own dirt if you wanted to get soiled.

P1030167x2.jpg

I hooked up the short spring and spreader/bar to both shoes, then set them in place. They will hold to a point in the little brackets. I lined up the notches of the shoes onto the expander - then wrapped it all with black tape. Would still move but gave me a little more forgiveness in it staying in place - and if the spring snapped off, they would move but not fall out - much easier to put it back. I found the new-aftermarket springs have almost too much of a hook - was hard to get them in the slotted holes when not under stress......so used the (nice-cleaned) orginals - their hooks were more fitting. Hooked the bottom then stuck a small flat blade screwdriver in behind it in the slot so it couldn't come out - then some needle nose and wallah - was in. Took very little to get the new rotors on.

20 minutes messing with the cable adjusters and all is well. Car is an auto so these will probably be used for inspections and then forgot about.

:cool:

Its ludicrous. Even the proportioning valves and brake lines are polished. :omg:

My plan is to make him so afraid to drive it, it will last forever and never break.

:-P
Thanks.

Back