• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Coilover anti-rust methods

ICantDrift

For those of us living in salty winter parts of the world with coilovers, purely out of curiosity, what do you do to keep them relatively fresh and rust free over the winter? I've been using PBblaster and have been pretty happy, they keep them clean and well lubricated, so I've got nothing to complain about. What do you guys use?

I've never used anything. Mine still look good 14 years later. Although they look used but not all rusty. MVP had the strut housings powder coated black when I bought my setup.

Maybe something like the anti rust coating Eastwood sells? You could paint the housings with that. Or POR15?

I'm more talking about the body of the coilover, rather than the shock rod. Like the threads and stuff,

How much adjusting do you do? Like how high and low?

The spring boot covers the spring and therefore the adjuster. The lower threads would still be exposed, depending on where your range of adjustment is.

pACE3-1188607enh-z6.jpg

Fluid film,I've sprayed the underside of my classic Saab 900 every fall for 15 years now.up until a few years ago it saw serious winter use as they are so damn good in the snow.

I've looked into fluid film a little bit, and I even got two small bottles for free at a NAPA trade show. I have two issues with it, it would be relatively expensive, at about $20/side, front + rear combined, and it's GROSS. I used it on the top plates of my coilovers and it was almost repulsive how phlegmy and slimy it was

I've looked into fluid film a little bit, and I even got two small bottles for free at a NAPA trade show. I have two issues with it, it would be relatively expensive, at about $20/side, front + rear combined, and it's GROSS. I used it on the top plates of my coilovers and it was almost repulsive how phlegmy and slimy it was

It hardens to some kind of waxy surface? Where I use it its pretty much non sticky in a few hours/days maybe?
A can is 14 euro here, the big spraycan. I bet you can do 2 coilovers many times?

I buy fluid film in gallon buckets, and completely coat the underside of both 740's, and a 3/4 ton Suburban, and have some leftover. Im spraying it on with an undercoat gun. **** works great, keeps the underside of my Cali 740 fresh even all through winter. I spray all the hinges and latches to keep them from seizing. Stuff's magic on seized stuff too

I used to read in Practical Classics about those folks using Waxoyl. Seems like a similar product. Much better than just spraying the whole bottom of the car with old engine oil like the bad old days. lol.

Back