• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Is this a good price for a B234F?

petiww

Hi!

Recently I found a 740GLE with a B234F engine at the local junkyard. They gave me a price about 400$ for the whole engine, including everything. Is it worth the price?

I still don't have a car, but in the near future i hope i can buy a 240. Then i would build an NA engine with B234 head and B230 block. I like turbo'd engines, but i'm a little afraid of them and i don't have that much money.

400 is great if the mileage is good. $375 is the average for the head on fleabay. I'd strip the bay for any extra goodies too.

Not worth $400 if it's there because the timing belt went. Just sayin'.

edit: And I mean that in North American terms. I don't know what prices are right if you are, indeed, in Hungary.

it's not a horrible price if the valves are straight, but with limited money and no car, i'd say just get a solid car

same suggestion to anyone, 90+ is best, a 700/900 turbo car will come with more goodies, but that's just my suggestion

You can get a b230 block cheaper then buy the head separate. Hell, I have two spare 16v heads kicking around the house Im not using I would get rid for cheap.

And no point getting the block if you are going to put a 8 valve bottom end in to get rid of the balance shafts etc

16v block external balance shafts and oil pump more prone to leaks, the complex timing belt setup can cause noob failures, thinner ringlands on the 16v pistons, which are way less forgiving than an 8v notched piston, etc, etc. They suck. Custom motor mounts. Need the pancake booster. But if it comes with the block, just sell the short block after, or part it out. Just saw a 16v head sold for $375 on fleabay here. That's about average. $25 for the block... Crush it. 8v bottom end.

Just curious, why do folks remove the balance shafts? Are they a common failure point in higher powered B234's?

One of the few problems is oil pump gear problems leading to broken timing belts. The oil pump gear itself can fail around the mounting flange, or the grade 5 bolts snap. You have to adjust the balance shafts, and on early models there were manual tensioners. You mess that up, timing belt could break. Balance shaft oil seals go. If there's any irregular wear on the shaft the seals wont seal. You can remove them I assume and the belt, because the were used for vibration and ride quality. Why go through all the headache though.

Thanks for the responses, guys! :)

I think i'll just buy the head, and some other things that are needed to build a 16v engine with a B230 bottom end.
-exhaust manifold
-intake manifold
-throttle body
-injector rail, injectors

I dont know, should i buy the whole harness? Or what else should i buy with it?
i'm thinking of making the engine running with VEMS, but i don't have exact plans, so a plan B should be there.

not a bad price. what do things like that normally go for around there?

For example a whole C20XE Opel/Vauxhall engine is goes about 200$. It depends on how rare the engine is. This example is not so rare. Smaller engines are far cheaper than this.

Oh and btw, here is the link for the 740GLT: http://aprod.hu/hirdetes/volvo-740-glt-alkatreszei-eladok-ID1yGWD.html
It came from Austria on it's wheels a week ago. They said that this week i can check the engine is running, so there are probably zero bent valves. :nod:

They said that they wont sell the head separately, because there is an other customer who would take the whole engine.
Anyways, I'm in love with the sound of the straight five, so i'm a little happy with this fact that i can't buy it. I can save for the car itself. :nod:

Back