• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

'93 240 AC suction hose, p/n has been superseded?

OVERDRIVE

I'm prepping to retrofit the AC system from a '93 into my '90. The suction hose (compressor to accumulator) has a crack at the metal squiggle where it meets the compressor. I find this to be fairly common. The part number stamped on the hose is 3540458. Volvo parts databases tell me that it's been superseded to 3540604, which shows it's applicable for 91-93. I do not have a 91-92 accumulator in front of me to compare threads, but I'm led to believe that the '93 accumulator does have different threads than the 91-92 system. 3540604 is also shown as the replacement for 3537036, which is the 91-92 hose. I'm guessing there's a TSB that also updates the accumulator/drier p/n to one that works for 91-93 with r134a? Does anyone know what's going on here?

edit: My accumulator is 3537542, but 9131972 is also listed as 1993 fitment, possibly an updated part?

Last edited:
but isn't the the 93 pipe, the one with the fill valve, from the dryer outlet to evaporator metric threaded? And 91-92 is SAE or whatever but not metric?

Thats the whole problem right? 91-92 all not metric threads and 93 is same size fittings with all metric threads.

Hey anyways you can use a 93+ 940 suction hose and not have the hose routed over the engine. I have one and will eventually finish off my 93 AC swap.

That's very neat that you can make a 940 line work, and thus move the line down lower. I took my old hose to a radiator shop and they repaired it in only a few hours. I'll have yet to pick it up, but I decided that would be the best choice.

I have a hydraulic crimper, I'll crimp you a line if you send fittings and hose and pay shipping.

but isn't the the 93 pipe, the one with the fill valve, from the dryer outlet to evaporator metric threaded? And 91-92 is SAE or whatever but not metric?

Thats the whole problem right? 91-92 all not metric threads and 93 is same size fittings with all metric threads.

Hey anyways you can use a 93+ 940 suction hose and not have the hose routed over the engine. I have one and will eventually finish off my 93 AC swap.

The J-pipe to drier thread is the same, R-12 vs. R-134. IOW, 91-93. It is the dryer to low pressure line that is different 91/92 vs. 93. The opposite end an the compressor is the same thread all 3 years even though the 93 uses a rotary compressor. As white855T said, you can run the 91-92 line with a 91-92 dryer on the 93 system. The only issue is the bend in the low pressure line is different leading to the compressor because the 1993 R-134 rotary compressor has the ports in a V configuration vs. || parallel on the R-12 compressors. It still works.

Don't mix mineral oils w/OEM R134 PAG oil swapping accumulators, tho?
If there's some residual R12 mineral oil in an R12 accumulator in a used PAG oil R134A system?
But POE (Ester) oil & if everything's flushed clean it should work?

The evap itself & its threads/fittings is the same '91-'93.
The Pipe from evap to accumulator (& its threads) & pressure switches are different for 93.
The pipe to the 1993 condenser is different from the hi-side compressor hose...you can use a '91-'92 condenser in a '93 w/the '91-92 pipes, but with somewhat reduced efficiency (or vice versa w/increased efficiency w/hydrocarbons or R12 :badboy: :lol:).

The 1993 hose often cracks w/that big long stand-off of the V outlets on the compressor & ordering correct size belts is a total PITA for 240s...many 240s are ridden hard & put away wet with janky accessory bushings, misaligned belts & worn motor mounts janking on the suction hose that runs over the top of the motor.

They *tried* to bracket it with a bracket that hangs onto it a *little* better on the T-stat housing on the ~later production 1993 cars so it wouldn't crack...typical volvo last minute 'fix' / 'band-aid' after the cars roll off the factory floor to the showroom. :roll: They still can & do crack... :roll:

I've seen a few elegantly welded & repaired...still working on the late 1993 244 she won't get rid of. :roll:

That's very neat that you can make a 940 line work, and thus move the line down lower. I took my old hose to a radiator shop and they repaired it in only a few hours. I'll have yet to pick it up, but I decided that would be the best choice.

That line also works well with a 16v head in a 240. You can also use an earlier 740 line which goes around the back of engine. I've done that on a number of 240s.

Someone should really make custom lines for the late larger evap setup to run with an expansion valve?

Something that is actually thought through that doesn't go thru the front sheetmetal (so you can swap that without depressurizing it) & allows engine swaps/easy service with the compressor tied off to the side like a subaru or something and isn't this British/Swedish disaster with random/afterthought kludge of american/japanese components & fittings you have to tighten with open end & line wrenches? Feels like a life sentence to get them to work right/seal all the leaks/chafe spots/concerns even when they're a bone stock 1993 N/A 240...

I've seen people kludge the earlier 700 4-banger J-pipe thing into the 240s...IDK seems like a plumbing mess to service later having had to deal with that?
Doesn't run over the top of the engine I guess, but that's about it?

The accumulator being on the turbo side on a 240T is something I won't tolerate to service the thing if it has to pass smog/deal with the stupid 240T stock cat downpipe...

Back