• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

V8 final drive ratio

Man... all this LS talk makes me want and LS. :)

Still can’t believe what a dog the 5.0 is past 4,900rpm in stock form. Ford really choked these motors... I can love with less power just to hear that classic 5.0L flowmaster soundtrack!

Man... all this LS talk makes me want and LS. :)

Still can?t believe what a dog the 5.0 is past 4,900rpm in stock form. Ford really choked these motors... I can love with less power just to hear that classic 5.0L flowmaster soundtrack!

The stock 5.0 cams are terrible. It?s like having an M cam in a b230f.
Toss in anything else and it?ll be a a much more rev happy engine. Mine currently shoots right up to the 7500 redline without any issues.

Well... it looks like I can’t find a 3.31 axle locally. Still amazed at the cost of an aftermarket gear and pinion. Been thinking about a 8.8 conversation but, I already bought the LSD and invested in rims and tires. lol.

I guess my next option is to buy a 1031 axle with any ratio from a 240, along with a 1031 axle with 3.31 from a 740 and mix and match... or ask the guys at Chapman’s very nicely to swap the carriers .

After that... I may have to go stateside where freight will cost me the same amount as buying two axles here in Canada.

Last edited:
Well... it looks like I can?t find a 3.31 axle locally. Still amazed at the cost of an aftermarket gear and pinion. Been thinking about a 8.8 conversation but, I already bought the LSD and invested in rims and tires. lol.

I guess my next option is to buy a 1031 axle with any ratio from a 240, along with a 1031 axle with 3.31 from a 740 and mix and match... or ask the guys at Chapman?s very nicely to swap the carriers .

After that... I may have to go stateside where freight will cost me the same amount as buying two axles here in Canada.

I can ask Mark in Vancouver if he has anything or a lead on one.

I can ask Mark in Vancouver if he has anything or a lead on one.

I’m starting to think a 3.31 final may be a bit rare on a 240 in Canada. Will have to start looking at 260s. I’m under the impression all 260 PRV cars have a 1031.

Who would be the premier Volvo wrecker in Washington state or Oregon?

I’m taking it that a carrier/ring gear/pinion from a 740 1031 will for a 240 1031?

As you can tell I’m persistent. lol

Last edited:
I know of a good 3.31 1031 244 diff sitting in a shop near Olympia Wa if you wanted to drive down.
There just has to be something closer.
Have you tried the Volvo Owners Of the PNW Facebook group? There’s also a PNW volvo classified group on FB as well.

I know of a good 3.31 1031 244 diff sitting in a shop near Olympia Wa if you wanted to drive down.
Have you tried the Volvo Owners Of the PNW Facebook group? There?s also a PNW volvo classified group on FB as well.

If the price is right I?ll ship it. To be honest it?s no cheaper to drive. Will cost $75 USD both ways for the ferry plus fuel, food (In?n?out burger!) and my wife will want to shop. lol. The exchange rate isn?t too bad right now.

Plus the border is still closed... too many vocal Karens wanting to keep the borders closed to ?Trump?s America?.

Have you tried the Volvo Owners Of the PNW Facebook group? There?s also a PNW volvo classified group on FB as well.

If there is something closer, it's probably a huge chunk of rust. The Canadians come down here to buy cars that are actually mostly still comprised of steel and aluminum.

If there is something closer, it's probably a huge chunk of rust. The Canadians come down here to buy cars that are actually mostly still comprised of steel and aluminum.

Cars on the Island aren?t too bad. Everything from the Midwest to the east is pure rust. I?d be looking down in Arizona, but many ?Snowbirds? aren?t going south this year.

Other than the 960, I have never encountered a 3.31 gear set in a 7-9 series car.

https://www.brickboard.com/FAQ/700-900/Driveline.htm#RearAxleRatioTable

89-90 740 GLE B234F with M46, not listed on that table, will have a 3.31 axle.

Good luck finding one of those, though.

I think the easiest would probably be a 960-I wagon, 92 to 94, with solid axle. Unless the gear sets can also be swapped out of the IRS differentials in the sedans and late 960/x90 platform?

I think the easiest would probably be a 960-I wagon, 92 to 94, with solid axle. Unless the gear sets can also be swapped out of the IRS differentials in the sedans and late 960/x90 platform?

Or, it can have a 3.54. I had a 1990 740 GLE I parted out that had the 3.54 rear axle and M46.

Been offered a 3.31 R&P for a 1030... I may just keep the original 1030, swap out the 3.73s for the 3.31, install the TrueTrac and drive it till I break it.

It should hold up fine. I’m not much of hard launching drag racer. This 5.0 doesn’t make all that much power. The most abuse this car will see is track days at VIMC when I get the suspension sorted... it really needs suspension upgrades. Getting some serious wheel hop.

I *think* that's a mis-print? The "GLE" & "N/A 4-cylinder" part is right, though?
All 700 manual 16V I've seen had a 3.91...all ~12 USA market 700 16V they sold w/manual. :rofl:
They've also had M46 instead of M47 & Hydro clutch like the 700Ts instead of cable like the others.. :e-shrug:

4-Cylinder 8v N/A 700 USA Manual is 3.31 just like the 2.3L SOHC EFI USA 240s.
They're "out there" in 7/9s a bit.

3.54 in Turbo-diesel M46 700 or 700T M46.
Or basically all the USA Diesel manual cars 2 or 7, broadly.
Only seen 1030 in the 240 though; riddle if you insist on 2xx + 1031 in that particular ratio/break out the special pinion depth setter tools and go find a late stick shift 700T manual :roll:
Maybe 164s that got 1031s early got 3.54s got those?
164 auto-tragic should have 3.31 most years too.
1975 164 has a 240 axle housing/suspension mounting points.

Seen the odd optional towing ratio axle in a 2/7/9, but factory that's just what I've observed.

'92-'94 960 MK1 Wagon; 3.31 solid axle/probably where you're most likely to find one as someone looking for a solid axle in 3.31 for 7/9, yes.

Last edited:
I *think* that's a mis-print? The "GLE" & "N/A 4-cylinder" part is right, though?
All 700 manual 16V I've seen had a 3.91...all ~12 USA market 700 16V they sold w/manual. :rofl:
They've also had M46 instead of M47 & Hydro clutch like the 700Ts instead of cable like the others.. :e-shrug:
I had a 1990 740GLE 16V/M46 with a 3.73 1031 G80

Back