• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Achieving 250hp - What are your setups?

That isn?t a recipe, spill the details, sir. And show the proof!

11.5:1 or 12:1 CR (would have to double check), 86mm crank, 276deg cams with 11.4mm of lift, shortened and ported intake manifold (~1.5mm wall thickness), ported intake ports, 4-2-1 header, and 8k RPM.
It made enough torque to regularly break axles and yield the splines on the axle shafts.
No dyno numbers, just estimates based on injector duty cycles and comparing it to cars with known HP that we raced against.

Harald is now using the top end to make 300whp at 10psi using stock turbo pistons and a 90+ manifold.

The engine died doing what it did best, setting fast stage times rally racing.
Post mortem inspection showed a bunch of rust in 2 cylinders (1&2) and a wideband (innovate) that wasn't reading correctly. These two things led to detonation that burned a holes in the #1 and #2 pistons. My thought is that the rust caused excessive blow by and oil consumption that lowered the octane of the fuel in those two cylinders.

Pro tip: don't let your high end race car sit outside in the weather for 9 months and then take it racing. Turns out race motors don't like that. The owner now keeps the car in a garage, and drives it regularly to burn off any moisture inside the engine.

i just got a '94 940 turbo wagon cheap.... looking to sup it up. would a performance cam, MBC @ 14psi get me close to 250hp?

Very new to all this so please don't flame me....

i just got a '94 940 turbo wagon cheap.... looking to sup it up. would a performance cam, MBC @ 14psi get me close to 250hp?

Cam, boost controller, tune should get you around 220-230 on the motor if it's in good shape. probably 180-200 whp depending on drivetrain/engine condition.

Edit: my car with a 5 speed dynoed at 184/253 at 13 psi with a chip. If you look at Kenny's Project BPU (http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=353663) he made 153/209 at 14 psi(?) with an automatic and no tune. Not exactly apples to apples I know but just for reference, two cars with just added boost.

Nope. 170-180whp is about all you?ll see even with a cam.

are there any compiled guides as to all the needed modifications to maximize horsepower in a b320FT wagon as mine is? I've been reading a lot here but it seems like there's so many different approaches; i suppose that's just the name of the game though....

are there any compiled guides as to all the needed modifications to maximize horsepower in a b320FT wagon as mine is? I've been reading a lot here but it seems like there's so many different approaches; i suppose that's just the name of the game though....

It's pretty much completely on you to figure how much you want to spend, how much power you want to make, what kind of concessions to road manners/streetability there should be, and finally what you should do to get there.

It's pretty much completely on you to figure how much you want to spend, how much power you want to make, what kind of concessions to road manners/streetability there should be, and finally what you should do to get there.

Search noobs

http://tbforums.com/mods.php

thanks for the link. in any case, this 940 is an auto so mods might be a waste of time ultimately.... if it was manual i'd be more inclined.

thanks for the link. in any case, this 940 is an auto so mods might be a waste of time ultimately.... if it was manual i'd be more inclined.

Even the T cam in your car can support your power goals. In fact it is a good cam for lots of power with an auto. Your power goal of 250hp is easily obtainable with bolt on parts. With the T cam you'll still have decent road manners and your car will be a lot more fun.

Even the T cam in your car can support your power goals. In fact it is a good cam for lots of power with an auto. Your power goal of 250hp is easily obtainable with bolt on parts. With the T cam you'll still have decent road manners and your car will be a lot more fun.

that sounds like what I am looking for - not a straight-up rally car but just a beefier, faster car I can still drive often, mostly highway.

may I start a forum to ask questions on this or ought I just continue reading? from what I gather thus far, an MBC, ECU chip, and maybe different injectors would do the trick?

again, forgive me as I am a n00bs; this is the first car I'm attempting to mod.

that sounds like what I am looking for - not a straight-up rally car but just a beefier, faster car I can still drive often, mostly highway.

may I start a forum to ask questions on this or ought I just continue reading? from what I gather thus far, an MBC, ECU chip, and maybe different injectors would do the trick?

again, forgive me as I am a n00bs; this is the first car I'm attempting to mod.

You really need a wide band O2 sensor too. Start with a Stage 0 tune up and a MBC. You might be surprised.

Even turning up the boost with the stock turbo using a mbc will provide a lot more power and you'll enjoy the car quite a bit more. But before doing that. I second the suggestion of doing stage zero to have the car in top condition to handle the extra power. On the home page there are old articles that tell you what stage zero is and there are old threads about it as well. Just a few more lbs of boost is a nice improvement over Volvos stock conservative setting.

right, thank you for this info. I found some good articles on the stage 0, which is what I was doing fixing up the car anyway. It does, however, need a new exhaust; the current system is too short and doesn't hang properly! not sure who did that... but I may go ahead and get a more performance-geared system there. thanks again yall!

When I did my +T, i didnt pay any attention or even thought about crankcase vent-catch can. I wish I studied on it before I even added the turbo. There is alot of good info on it in google search. I put my turbo on and started turning up the boost and started blowing gaskets. Once I got my catchcan and vents hooked up oil leaks stopped.

When I did my +T, i didnt pay any attention or even thought about crankcase vent-catch can. I wish I studied on it before I even added the turbo. There is alot of good info on it in google search. I put my turbo on and started turning up the boost and started blowing gaskets. Once I got my catchcan and vents hooked up oil leaks stopped.

did you do the yoshifab mods?

I have heard full synthetic oil goes a long way to prevent PCV problems and clogging; but I read that in regards to daily-driving 240s.

Back