• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Aggressive Turbo Cam

studmuffed

Hey guys,

On my +T 240 I can really feel the power drop off past 5000 rpm, so I want a better cam to pick up the top end. I?d like to make a lot of power in the future, but I?m only running about 10psi right now. What cams are out there that would increase power up top and leave a lot of room for more power in the future? I don?t care about rough idle or anything like that, just want something that will make a lot of hp.

Thanks

M47, stock rev limit, 13c, think diff is a 3.73, whatever came in the auromatics. Probably going to put a larger turbo on in the future and swap a T5 in. Also have another diff from a manual car and might swap that in

If you're just looking for something that isn't the yucky stock turbo cam, most of the other factory grinds (A/B/D/K/V cams) will work quite well. The IPD Turbo cam is also a good match for a stock-like engine. If you actually want to make power (think 300+) don't bother with factory grinds. Something from ENEM or KL Racing or one of those types of places in Sweden will do. You won't want to swap away from the 3.73 rear axle to the manual 3.31 if you're going to a T5, provided it's out of a V8 car.

No matter what cam you run the little 13C and garbage stock head casting will choke you out at high RPM.

It doesn’t even have a stock turbo cam right now, it’s a stock NA cam lol. Thanks for the info on the diffs, I’ll keep the 3.73. I didn’t realize how expensive those cams were, so I might get the IPD turbo cam now and hunt for a 531 head to try to increase power before getting one of those more “boutique” cams.

I’ll also look at bigger turbos

Yeah I’m just gonna keep trying to add power till she lets go and then save up for a trans swap

I broke all the m47s in the south east, I used to keep one in the trunk, they all gone now and the one in it has a mighty crunchy 2nd gear. M90 waiting on the next hand grenande

Elgin Cams made the cam for the B230 I am playing with. # B21-turbo

It did this with an automatic and 20#!

bushing.jpg

volvocam1.jpg

Cam is installed straight up. With a degree wheel.

Last edited:
I broke all the m47s in the south east, I used to keep one in the trunk, they all gone now and the one in it has a mighty crunchy 2nd gear. M90 waiting on the next hand grenande

Are you going to do the 3rd gear mod? If so, I'm interested in info/pics

Poor M47'S....

It's easy to make more than enough power to roast a stock clutch. It's a good "fuse" anyways.

Enjoy the car for what it is and have realistic goals. These cars are vintage now and getting much more difficult to find parts for. Parts are getting more expensive, and used parts are more beat up than ever.

The yards around SoCal used to be full of turbo engines and manual 240s, but not anymore.

I'm going to be using an ENEM V-15 cam for my +T. i don't really know much about it, other than its similar to the IPD turbo cam. i got real lucky at a local yard; decided to pop off the vc on a 240 with some decent suspension mods and there it was.

I have a similar setup to you OP. Except I have an iPd turbo cam on NA+T, 13c at ~10lbs.

A more aggressive cam won't really help you too much. Sure, the iPd turbo cam loves 4K+ rpms, but the turbo is far too small to breathe at those RPMs. It's a system and the turbo/head/exhaust is probably the bottleneck on most setups. You'll want a better a turbo to match your upgraded cam.

The turbo comes on pretty hard but I only have a small window of usable power/torque. Could also look into an adjustable cam gear.

I posted the cam card for that Elgin cam.
You will notice " valve overlap = 0? " You won't find that in a non-turbo cam.
That cam has a butter smooth idle and a huge percentage of my tuning time was spent limiting the boost.
There is huge potential there with a better setup to turn it loose.
But then there is the reliability issue, I have a feeling any more boost or full throttle shifts will break stuff.

You should be looking at cam cards when comparing cams, not using conjecture or observations from others installs as there are too many variables.

I would also emphasize the stock turbo .48 turbine housing is too small to make good power over 4500 rpm.
Exhaust back pressure becomes an issue.
The stock exhaust manifold (ported) works well with a .60 housing and a 3" exhaust. There may be room for improvement in a header, but I prefer cast iron exhaust manifolds.

Talking a T3 turbo. I use a .48 sierra cosworth turbine housing and there is no lack of top end. It uses a 3" outlet and using the smaller turbine housing gives me some useable boost below 3k rpms. However, I agree if you want a bit more top end a 3" ultimate ATP wastegate on a .63 housing will probably give you a bit more top end.

A T3 might a be a good upgrade for the OP since they are cheap and with the higher compression of the +T you should have a bit less lag.

Another thing that helps with lag is leaving the heavy flywheel in there. The increased load on the engine from the heavy flywheel will also reduce lag.

Edit:I've been using an enem V15T for many years. That cam supports well up to 300hp. The next level cam which I am going to use is a V16T.

Last edited:
1. Poncy volvo cams are poncy.
2. Poncy volvo transmissions are poncy.
3. Poncy turbobricks members (especially those that drive camrys) are poncy.

Real cams are ground in swampy backwoods shops, on ancient machinery, by ancient gearheads who know better but give zero ****s.

Go big, make a pbj, launch that pig while eating that pbj, go home.

Alright so with everything you all have said in mind, I think I’m gonna look into a T3 turbo of some sort, maybe a GT35 or something. I’ll look for a 531 head and then an IPD turbo cam or an ENEM cam. I already have a 3 inch turboback exhaust side exit with a single glasspack, so it breathes pretty well out the exhaust side other than the restrictions of the turbo itself.

Back