• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

Length of cross bars for 240 Yakima/Thule roof racks?

2turbotoys

Salaminizer
What length cross bars do you guys have for your 240 roof racks? I found a place that has a Yakima Basket Case, NOS/NIB Thule version of it, as well as a ton of other vintage rack parts. I am going there tomorrow and want to have some idea of what I need.

I know pretty much nothing about racks so any input is very welcome, thanks!

You can put 4 ft bars on a 240 if you don't want overhang. The towers will be right at the ends. I use 5 ft bars mostly. I put the front one above the B pillar and pretty much never bang my head on it. Longer than 5 and you are asking for it.

Dam, 58" would stick out pretty good, gutter to gutter is approx 50"

The Yakima rack feet are a little bit different than the Thule feet which is why they require longer bars. The Thule cross bars will give you a cleaner look for sure. But I suppose if you want to shorten the Yakima bars, you can( a couple inches for each side).

Good to know. I think I will probably get the Tuhle, because, Swedish haha, and shorter bars are ideal even if I can cut down other brands.

Very curious to see the other vintage baskets he has.

could hit your head with that much hanging over :-(

Unlikely. On a 1981 Honda Accord, BTDT. A 1978 Volvo 242, nope.

242 in this pic is shown with uncut 58" bars. The 245 shown had bars that the previous owner had cut down to 52".

Frontal view of a 58" Yakima rack on my 245. I like having the extra length, since I also have bike mounts that I do sometimes use.

The towers on a Thule rack curve more, which is why the 50" bars work on a 240. Yakima towers are more vertical.

The rear bar on my old 245 shown here is a 48" crossbar... Not enough room to get an end cap on the bar.

Side view of the 242, with the 58" bars and with a bike mount, plus a pair of crossbar pads added.

There is a benefit to the Yakima rack... Round crossbars, like the pre-1981 Thule racks. On a curved raingutter, your mounts will remain lined up. That may be more of an issue, if something other than the luggage basket is used, though.

So I ended up with a NOS Volvo cargo bin...he told me he had a Thule NIB but when I saw it was a Volvo box I had to get it. Kinda wish I had gotten the Basket Case as well, it might look better. I also got a "vintage" set of clamps/towers/whatever you call them complete with the locks and key. 50" square Thule bars and a modern Thule fairing to finish it off. Thanks again for all the input!

I didn't get to assemble it or test fit yet, I'll do that Monday when I get back to the shop.

mKt8w4ol.jpg

4xZ09hll.jpg

Back