• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

LED in 240 cluster/gauge installation!

shellshock

Below, is a photo of Clay
Alot of people have been having questions about this, including myself. OldSchoolEuro helped me out in the selection of LEDs, and other than that, all was straight foward! Super easy

Now his does not cover the Instrument panel, as they take halogen bulbs and would take some work to get LED's to function in there as well as the halogen bulb would.

First off I ordered

74-xHP for above the switches
two 74-xHP for the HVAC controls
Four 74-xHP for my small VDO gauges

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-...t=CAR&keywords=&cart_id=4703055.23874&next=50

74-xHP Wedge Base
13th item down the list

IMG_1028.jpg

Now that the hard part is over, It's time for installation. All you are doing is pulling the old bulbs out of the plastic holder and installin the LEDs, then re-inserting them back into their hole.

Old bulb and the holder that I pulled it out of:
IMG_1027.jpg

New LED inserted in the holder:
IMG_1030.jpg

While I had everything apart, I replaced a burnt out halogen bulb in my cluster

Old bulb:
IMG_1049.jpg

New bulb. Be careful not to touch the new bulb's lens surface. It reduces the lifespan.
IMG_1050.jpg

Now It's time to start on the lower portion of the dash to replace the little ambient light above the switches and the lights in the HVAC controls

Start by removing the two screws on top:

IMG_1041.jpg

You will also have two torx screws on the side of the panel. You cant miss them :)

Pull back the panel and find the bulb holder above the switches.

IMG_1042.jpg

Replace:
IMG_1043.jpg

Do the same on the HVAC controls. There is two on each side.

Reassamble and admire!

IMG_1057.jpg

^sorry about the crappy pictures. I just had my little Canon ELPH out in the car with me

superbrightleds.com FTW
i replaced my 744 SE's cluster lights with ones from there, they look great. i also replaced the craptastic filament bulb that was included with my autometer pro-comp ultra lite boost gauge with a 4 LED bulb, and it looks great at night.
i have yet to do the rest of my controls/switches..i'm kinda lazy..i'll take pictures of my cluster and boost gauge setup one of these nights soon

Do you have any "before" pics? I can't tell if the LEDs made it better or worse! I'm guessing the boost gauge isn't the same type as the others and thus didn't get the LED and can't be used for comparison..

Do you have any "before" pics? I can't tell if the LEDs made it better or worse! I'm guessing the boost gauge isn't the same type as the others and thus didn't get the LED and can't be used for comparison..

I did these awhile ago and it is much better. I can actually see stuff on my dash at night now. You can search for the thread I made after i did it, I think I did before and after.

shellshock.

this is mine;

BEFORE;
MetersNightshot.jpg

Very dim and hardly noticable at night..

AFTER;
LEDGauges.jpg

I Love 'em..! just like shellshock said, the tint on the gauges made them blue it's white LED actually.

Back