• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

MS oddities

I can send you an msq from a car I got running last night. 2.2 box, ms1 triggering a bip off of spark output a. lh 2.2 distributor, resistor on pin 24, hall return on pin 25. All the coldstart/cranking/fuel table stuff is wonky because my objective was to get it to start and idle..everything else is up to the owner.

this is my car i belive. and it idles like a boss. but wont rev past 2.5k rpm without sounding like anti lag on a rally car.

Got a distributor from beepee yesterday. Will swap this evening.

So I was *thinking* about this yesterday. I think there's something wrong with something (durr). While the distributor may (and I hope it does) fix it, I can't help but assume it won't fix it.

There has to be something related to the fact that 4 squirts makes the car run perfectly. I need to get an o-scope home but is it possible the spark output is somehow actually an injector output? It would explain why trigger angle adjustments do nothing and why it only runs on 4 squirts. The board seems wired correctly but there's obviously something fubar.

Will report back after distributor replacement.

hm, I lost a post in here. I had one once that was tied to the pulse on the LED, I'd incorrectly defined the spark output, and for whatever reason I could set the trigger angle but then after that the timing did it's own thing regardless of what was on the map. it took a little while to figure that derp out. it doesn't help that there are two possible spark output A's, the top led (that also indicates engine rpm signal i.e. will pulse with every trigger 'event' on a single coil system), and the other one, js10 or whatever.

check that, could be a simple solution. I still haven't opened the msq, so ymmv

Okay - so I looked over the MS today vs the internet. It looks 'normal'.

I went out and changed outputs, so fidle was the idle controller and LED14 was squirt. Car runs the same.

I never had good success running the coil directly, even though it should be possible. Why not put a ignition module between it. Should be easy to wire in.

I've never done the 2.2/ms1 deal, but with ms2/3.0, I've done single coil/distributor and a few iterations of wasted spark controlling the coil directly. I burned up my very first VB921 in 2006, but since then I'm complaint-free

Okay dumb question. Just about everywhere I search shows triggering LED17 as spark. I can't seem to find direction on any wiring requirements to make fidle the spark output. Maybe I'm just too tarded?

Check and make sure your distributor cap isn't burned up.
If you're triggering at the wrong angle, you're cross firing.

check this

yes that's how I set it. But if I change FIDLE to idle control and LED17 to spark (or squirt) it runs the same.

I've cleaned the house enough. I think I'll go swap those distributors now and see what happens.

Is it *crazy* to try another MS chip?

How is the board wired with the bip?

Right leg of R25 goes to the left leg of the BIP. Is that right? I'm having trouble googling/megamanual telling me that's correct. [beepee did it]

The other wires (ground & coil -) are soldered directly to the underside of the board to db37

Okay so reading more:

The megamanual shows this diagram:

v22board1.gif

And then one page down, shows this:
mt-msnssetting.GIF

I feel maybe we goofed up? Is R26 not related to fidle, but related to the LED?

And then here:

v22one-coil.GIF

Very Important: Set Spark Out Inverted = YES and set the Dwell to around 6.0mS for cranking 3.5mS for Running and 0.1mS for the Minimum Time as a starting point! Also set LED17 as SparkA output in Codebase and Output Functions!! Read the Software manual for more info!!

That's what's done to the system.

http://www.msextra.com/doc/ms1extra/MS_Extra_Ignition_Hardware_Manual.htm#singlecoil22

It would seem fidle is not what I'm using.

So I need to set the thing to LED 17. I think.

Back