• Hello Guest, welcome to the initial stages of our new platform!
    You can find some additional information about where we are in the process of migrating the board and setting up our new software here

Thank you for being a part of our community!

240 Creaking/groaning sway bar end links

volvohyes

Has anyone ran into creaking/groaning end links? I can physically feel the noise is coming from the upper sandwich part.

It started at some point on my set of poly end links, I tried tightening them which caused them to split, so then I ordered some regular Meyle rubber links. Put those on but the noise stubbornly persists, even on new ones.

The car is a 92 but I think the sway bar is of the older style where the ends are crudely flattened vs the new style with circular cutouts for the bushings, I'm thinking that's contributing but not sure how.

^^ He means the mounting bushings on the body. They get dry and creak and groan. It's not the links even if that is where the sound seems to come from. It's the body bushings. You can lube them with silicone grease like what is used for brake pins.

Edit:The small bushings on the links where they attach to the control could possibly make noise if they are bad. Try spraying the sway bar bushings with lubricant for rubber and see if the sound goes away.

Last edited:
How are your strut mounts? I?ve been chasing front end noises for a few months and my conclusion is junk aftermarket strut mounts, installed them about 6-7 months ago and they?ve already failed and our roads here aren?t that bad. Going to replace with solid mounts, forget the ride quality I rather not put a strut through my hood

Strut mounts were replaced like 25k ago with URO brand.

It's gotta be the sway bar because it's silent with the end links disconnected

Back